liveaboard dive trip to Raja Ampat, Indonesia, Jan 23 - Feb 2 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter 66

New
Reaction score
Dear ScubaBoarders,

I am putting together a trip onboard Seven Seas (www.thesevenseas.net) to Raja Ampat (West Papua, Indonesia), and I am looking for other enthusiastic divers who are interested to join. The trip itself is Jan 23 - Feb 2 2007, and participants should allow one extra day before and after for travel between Bali and Raja Ampat.

I had the opportunity to visit Raja Ampat a couple of months ago, and freediving there was absolutely great - reefs are in excellent condition, and there are still some big fish around. You may have heard that just to the South of this area a recent expedition found some new species of fish - this is not surprising since this area has the most biodiverse reefs on Earth, whereas only few scientists have had a chance to go there. Some years ago I was involved in a similar expedition in Raja Ampat and the fish taxonomist found at least two new species in Raja Ampat as well.

Raja Ampat not only has great reefs, the seascape is breathtaking too. I am especially looking forward to exploring the karst islands around Southeast Misool, and the clearwater mangrove areas to the Northwest of Misool.

About the group that I hope to get together: any SCUBAdiver or freediver who enjoys reefs and coastal nature can join. Seven Seas has two large tenders (twin 45HP) and an inflatable, so we will have enough flexibility to accommodate different interests. Apart from stunning reefs and a breathtaking seascape, Raja Ampat has little to offer in terms of shopping and nightlife, so divers who want to get a bit of both worlds are probably better off in Bali or so. As far as I know, there is no wreckdiving. Seven Seas tells me they will have nitrox by the time the trip starts. Seven Seas has kayaks as well.

In case you are wondering - I am a paying guest, not an agent. The Seven Seas is owned by a good friend of mine, and I promised to help fill up the charter. You will get the same rate as I am paying. Please send a Private Message if you are interested. Note that this message, with a slight change in the schedule, was also posted elsewhere on ScubaBoard (I just don't know how to remove it).

Cheers, Peter

Back
Top Bottom