Livaboard in Similan (20/2-24/2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdchua

Reaction score
I have just done the 1st liveaboard in my life on ScubaCat in Similans. I like to thank Steven for helping me book the liveaboard.

The liveaboard was pretty good, the boat is a basic but very nice one and the crew is great.

I will strongly encourage anyone with plan to go to the similan/phuket to go now as it is high season with low season crowd.

Since I have never been to similians before the Tsunami, I cannot on comment on how it has affected the divesites. But 1 thing for sure there is no shark sighted not even white tip during my 15 dives there. And so, up till now I have yet to see any shark.

Most of the divesite which I have been to have visibility between 20m to 40+m. The marine life is very good. There are lots of fishes around but given my limited knowledge of marine life, I afraid I cannot tell you what I have seen. Hahaha.

Here are things I have seen, Morays Eels, Ribbon eels, Barrucudas, Bat fish, turtles, ghost pipe fish, stone and lion fish and a frog fish.

I will post some pics in my gallery have a look at them and do give some comments.

Thank you for the report regarding the Similians. I am doing a liveaboard next month and can hardly wait. Glad to hear that marine life is abundant.

Counting down the days before I get visibility in the 20-40+m range. In Los Angeles I hope to have 3-5m visibility tomorrow. :11:

It is really good to know how people are starting to return to Phuket after the disaster. I have heard many positive things about Similan and Surin lately. I am glad you enjoyed it. I will be diving in Southern Similan this April myself.

Just came back from a trip to help clean up the coral reef of Phi Phi island. I have to admit that the island still need more clean up but the island's tourism is back in business as usual.

For those of you who have thoughts about coming or diving in Thailand, the Adaman sea is still lovely. You are all welcome!!!!

I, too, just returned from an excellent Liveaboard experience (Aqua One). Richilieu Rock is in excellent condition, but some of the Similans (6, 7, 8, and 9) had some damage. I dived some of the damaged areas, and it is heartbreaking to see all that rubble. In other areas, Koh Bon has some significant damage as well. It was awe inspiring to see how powerful nature can be.

But still, there is plenty of great diving to be had.

Want to help?

Here's how.

Right now the biggest damage to the area is economic. Many hotels and restaurants are nearly empty. Shops cry out for customers. In the harbors, dive boats filled with tanks sit idle, waiting for divers. Massage shops ($5 for a one hour Thai massage) are empty. I heard that in one specific diver operation, people are living on approximately 1/5 of their accustomed income.

The greatest help you can provide will also help yourself. Plan your next dive trip to Thailand soon. Have a great vacation and put your money directly intot he pockets of the people who need it, unfiltered by government red tape and corruption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom