Little "squares" in shots- any explanation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Motor Marine II-EX with YS-50 strobe and shot my first UW roll in a pool in TTL mode. The camera seems to be working fine, but most of the photos were underexposed. I probably had the shutter speed set too fast (used both 60 and 125 with ISO 100 film) and subjects might have been too far away.

Many of the photos had little, square light "ghosts" throughout the darker portions of the scenes. Never seen this before in land photography. Anyone know what these might be from?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Without seeing any of your photos I would guess that it's backscatter you're experiencing. This happens when the light from your flash lights up the particles in the water and is reflected back to the lens. Strobe positioning and reducing the water column (and hence the number of particles) will help you reduce this effect.

This is “one” of the reasons I have argued in the past with those that say the MMII is just as good as a NikV. ReyeR is right; it is caused by backscatter. The “Square” effect is from the poor (read cheap) design of the MMII’s aperture diaphragm blades. The reason you don’t see this on land is that there is normally no particles floating around, between you and your subject that is being lit up by your flash. I bet if you took a similar photo in the rain or with snow falling, it would appear similar. The reason for the “squared” look, is that the aperture only has 4 blades. You can see this by looking into the front of the lens and moving the aperture or “F-Stop” control. Higher quality lenses have 6 or more blades. This makes the aperture opening more “round”. Because of the MMIIs or MMII EXs square opening, all light flares or out of focus highlights (scatter) will appear as square ghosts. The size of the opening will affect the size and sharpness of the ghost. The smaller the opening, (higher F-stop number), the smaller (and sharper) the ghost. Highlights and flare is not the only thing that is affected by the “square”. You will also notice that some out of focus areas will appear squared, stepped, digitized, or pixilated. The 4-blade aperture also causes this. This is why better made cameras don’t use this cheap design. Can you work around this (flaw)? Yes, the recommendations by ReyeR of “Strobe positioning and reducing the water column (and hence the number of particles) will help you reduce this effect”. Also, burn a lot of film. Film is the cheapest part of your system; don’t be afraid to use it. Off soap box..

Back
Top Bottom