Little moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Seen at Fernando de Nornoha, Brazil at about 8 meters. This blue/gray-polka-dotted moray eel with its vivid blue "horns" is quite small, with a face about 3.5 cm in diameter. Does anybody know what it's called?
sblittlehornedmoraylx4.jpg

I think it's a juvenile Honeycomb (aka black ear) moray (Muraena melanotis). Your eel looks very similar to the main Muraena melanotis photo shown on page 75 of Helmut Debelius's Mediterranean and Atlantic Fish Guide.

Thanks, Vie. I've been told by members of a Brazilian discussion board that it's a juvenile Muraena pavonina. Its distribution is quite limited: in the southwest Atlantic, it is seen around the islands of Fernando de Noronha (where I saw it) and in the eastern Atlantic at Ascension Island (which is at about the same latitude as FN).

I wasn't able to identify it from web images since the adult looks very different in terms of coloration and the size of the horns. For what it's worth one common name in English is apparently "Flagged moray" and another is "Whitespot moray." Does Debelius list this species in the Med-Atlantic book? If so, is there a photo of the juvenile?

Hi Marcia,

The Debelius book does not include Muraena pavonina. I suspect (after looking at FishBase) that Muraena pavonina is probably the correct ID - in fact the main photo for Muraena melanotis in the Debelius book is probably in fact a Muraena pavonina! I guess it's easy to confuse Muraena pavonina and Muraena melanotis as both have somewhat similar markings and the prominent black "ear spot."

I should have known better than to try to ID a fish from outside of my area. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom