Little experiment with stacked macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
OK, so after some talk several weeks ago about macro lens and Oly 5050 and stack macro lens, I finally tried out the stack macro lens a bit. Basically you do get better magnification at the same distance which is very nice. (I used 2 Inon UCL-165).
In supermacro mode, the Oly autofocus could not focus at all through stack macro lens. Basically I used manual focus, set it to 4 inches and just moved the camera back and forward until the picture is in focus (easier said than done on LCD monitor :( ).
I set the focus to 4 inches because the stack lens extended out quite a bit in front of the port and the actual focus lenght was probably quite a bit less than 4 inches. I think anything closer, I would have much better chance of crushing the subject :)

fa69073a.jpg

The shrimp was a little less than one inch long. This picture was not cropped.

The second picture was taken with macro mode, zoom set to 80mm. Autofocus works very well. With the zoom at 105mm, again autofocus did not work. The crinoid shrimp was a little over half an inch long.

fa690204.jpg

I suppose I should try to take a picture of the same subject with various combination of single and stack lens and supermacro and macro mode but those shrimps just would not stay still :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom