Little Compton Town Landing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently did a drive around the Little Compton area in pursuit of possible shore diving sites. I tried to travel on any roads that lead directly to a beach with public right of ways and parking. I did not travel on any private roads which there are many of.

The more obvious sites are Sakonnet Point (which AfterDark has a nice ongoing thread) and South Shore Beach. I haven't dove Sakonnet Point before but do look forward to diving it sometime soon. Many years ago I camped and dove at South Shore Beach but it wasn't too exciting as it is primarily just sand. If others have had a different experience there than I'd love to hear about it.

However during my travels, I did stumble onto a site called Little Compton Town Landing. It was down a dirt road that opened up to a nice park with plenty of parking. The beach is rocky but accessible. I couldn't tell if the bottom is all sand or has rocky outcropping areas for fish and lobster to hide and seek. From the surface there are some larger rocks above the surface which gives me promise but much of the area appears to be similar to the sandy bottom topography of South Shore Beach.

I'd certainly enjoy hearing any dive reports from others that have dove in this area.

LitCompTownLandMap040820.jpg
PtMeadowsGPS040820.jpg
LilCompTownLandDepths040820.jpg
LilCompTownLandPark040820.jpg
LilCompTownLandOverview040820.jpg
LilCompTownLandDiveArea040820.jpg

According to the little Compton town website the town beach(South Shore Beach) charges $15 a day or $20/weekend or holiday for parking. They have a designated diving area. How good is it? No idea. Are other beaches around town better access? The town boat landing look like more of a rocky bottom,

According to the little Compton town website the town beach(South Shore Beach) charges $15 a day or $20/weekend or holiday for parking. They have a designated diving area. How good is it? No idea. Are other beaches around town better access? The town boat landing look like more of a rocky bottom,

The town start charging at 8am in the summer, get there before and you are good. Currently the town closed the parking lot and is accessible by walking or biking only. I live down the street. We did a really quick "check the drysuit for leaks" dive there last fall and there is a rocky bottom after a little kick out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom