Little Cayman or Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just looking for opinions on one or the other. Looking to dive the end of April, how's the viz and weather? Dive operation suggestions?

Again any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You should start by searching this forum, there are loads of information about both islands posted here; then come back with more specific questions that we can help to answer.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who preferred CB to LC as far as the diving goes. I spent a week on the Brac once when the Beach Club had a big sale. The diving wasn't remotely as good as Little Cayman, where I've been several times.

The Brac arguably has more stuff to do topside, but when I go on a dive trip, I dive.

My diving there was via live-aboard, so not so useful to you with only 2 Brac dives (the Russian wreck) vs. 18 Little Cayman. From reading Scubaboard's prior threads, here's a thread to get you started researching; Ironborn's thread Why is Little Cayman diving considered better? Scroll down to Post #9 by PatW, Post #20 by BackProp, Post #34 by KathyV, Post #35 by AggieDiver, Post #62 by Ricardo V discussing Little Cayman shore diving (which I don't read about much at all), and yet in other threads if you search I think you'll see Cayman Brac's shore diving scene has been picking up recently, judging from what people have posted.

My wife prefers Little Cayman. I prefer Cayman Brac. We dive there at Cayman Brac Beach Resort. The Brac has an outer wall whose top is anywhere from 60' to 89'. For some odd reason, the Brac has better corals than Little Cayman.

I have dived Brac and LC twice. After the first round, I felt they were different but roughly equivalent, with LC having the wall and more larger marine life like stingrays, eagle rays, and sharks. But I loved Brac diving and found it clear, colorful, and diverse.

This year, I noticed that the Brac, with a few exceptions, had a ton of green macroalgae all over the reef.

And I would like to get in a good word for Cayman Brac, too. Beautiful diving, natural beauty, nice people, shore diving, and the Cayman Brac Beach Resort has better food than LCBR in my opinion, and a huge, gorgeous pool. Plus it is easier to get to Brac than to Little with more flight options, including jet flights and (sometimes) even direct flights from the US.

I have been to Brac and LC, but my experiences in GC are limited to the airport and the Georgetown Yacht Club. I like the diving on Brac, but it is generally deeper, the dive sites are kind of more compact due to the spur and groove nature of the formations, and there isn't as much in the way of large sandy areas, which are my favorite part of LC. My favorite dive days when we went to the Brac were always the days the boat went to LC.

My wife and I found the shore diving to be the highlight of our trip. Nothing wrong with the boats, nor the resort, all was very good... however, the freedom of just being able to do our thing without having to be back in an hour, or following a guide was simply priceless. I know it's not for everyone and it's also out of the norm for Little Cayman, but then again, I would not hesitate to return and would do it in a heart beat, only if it could be 90% shore diving and say 10% boat... just to get to those places where shore access is not feasible. I don't think anyone can honestly say that any of these 3 shoredive sites are difficult to access or that they can easily get tired of diving them.

I realize it's not like any other shore dive destination, it's not set up that way, but it has potential... but then, regulations, lower population densities, environmental protection strategies, local master plan, transportation and public access are just a few variables that make each place unique and special. One valuable resource we used was a web posting we found here: ZF2NT Home Page
It does identify numerous sites which will have to wait till the next opportunity.

You can find more discussion, but that might be a start.

Richard.

Either one will be enjoyable....just pick one :)

Hands down Brac is the best. Little Cayman has too many divers, not as many sharks and I think the the South Wall is the best. Go to Pillars of Hercules, Rock Monster or any of the East end sites. Diving as it once was.. epic. April is a beautiful time to go.

Little Cayman is fine, but the East Brac is spectacular. Most important, have fun. Don’t judge a place by one trip, everydive is different. After 100’s of Brac dives, I have finally found a Pygmy Angel at Sylvia’s Reef. Cheers

Thanks all!! Wow great information. I did do a search so not sure if it was my search criteria or what but I didn't get near the results as above. I really appreciate the information. I have been to Grand Cayman and LOVED it... shout out to Compass Point Dive resort awesome place. I had seen in my search a few shout outs to GC's sister islands so thought I would look at those. Just trying to find a place to go for a dive vacation.... been a lot of places in the Caribbean and liked GC and Barbados and am contemplating just going back to them but thought some place different might be better.

Again thank you so much for your time!

We dove both on 1 trip a few years back. Diving was great on both islands, but Cayman Brac has many shore diving options, if you are into that (we are). Not a lot to do on LC other than ride bikes around the island.

I'd go back to either in a heart beat.

After 100’s of Brac dives, I have finally found a Pygmy Angel at Sylvia’s Reef. Cheers

Ok, I'm curious "pygmy angelfish"?

I would love to dive with someone like @vincent54, a local or near local, in order to see the best CB sites (especially the shore diving). That said, if your plan is to dive via the resorts, Bloody Bay Marine Park on LC is some of the best of the Caribbean and LCBR (there are other options) is one of my favs. All IMHO, YMMV. Have fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom