Little Cayman Dive Video - Above and Below

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tucker_2004

Registered
Reaction score
I made a video using a point and shoot camera of our trip to the Little Cayman Beach Resort the first week of February 2010. Great resort and great diving. My only complaint is that you can't open the windows in the rooms. It would have been nice to have the evening breeze coming in at night instead of listening to the AC running all night. The rooms felt a little damp as a result. Still, I would go back for sure!

YouTube - Little Cayman 2010

Scott

Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Great post! I'm gonna take my p&s down to the keys this month. What camera did you use to shoot this?

Good stuff Scott! Hard to believe it's been a month already! I know you didn't have as much fun after my group left...and I wasn't getting in your shots.

I'm not privileged enough to post links here yet, but I commented on your video and you can see what I came back with.

Mark

Thnx for the video

Great color. Can't believe that's from a point and shoot!

It was nice meeting you guys down there. Amazing we ended up on the same boat :p.

Truley graet video!!! We were looking for a place to go next Jan and this was very high on the list before the vid - now its for sure...gotta go!

We got married on Grand Cayman and loved it -this look simmilar, maybe better.\

A couple questions;

Water temp in January?

Waht kind of video set up did you use? I have a still camera, but am getting motivated to video.

SandyUT,

I can't answer Scott's camera setup exact camera setup, but I do know he was using a point and shoot camera. My girlfriend and I started with this setup using a Canon point and shoot with the Canon underwater housing designed for it. The size is wonderful and it's not that expensive, we tend to dive with it all times on her BC for "just in case we see something cool moments". As a point and shoot, it tends to struggle with pictures, meaning they'll come out very blue and you'll have to color correct everything underwater, but the video is very impressive for such a cheap and compact option. Get a big memory card for it and you can come up with lots of video. I think it's a good place to start, gives you a very versatile little camera for both land and underwater.

We have since upgraded to an actual video camera and housing, plus a housing for our DSLR. Way more money, much more thought has to go into dragging them along, and we STILL carry that point and shoot with us. When I think of the money spent on this hobby, that point and shoot, for me is one of those things where I'll say it was totally worth every penny for how much we use it and what we get out of it.

We only dove one day in January, turns out the last day of the month, but the temps were 81 on every dive we did and at every depth, down to 113ft for me.

I made a video using a point and shoot camera
Scott

What P&S were you using??

I was using a Canon Power Shot SD 850 with a Canon housing (I think it's a WP-DC15). It's not perfect but you could get fully setup for a few hundred bucks. I have learned to set the white balance underwater to get better colours. Basically I hold the camera a foot away from white sand underwater to take a White Balance measurement before I start using the video function.

I'm totally up for Little Cayman again but I may do it every other year so maybe Jan/Feb 2012? I want to check out a few other places the years in between. Maybe something easy and cheap next year like Roatan?

As for water temp..... My computer read 79f for most dives that first week of February.
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom