Little Cayman best snorkeling and feedback on Southern cross resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hoping to spend our 40th wedding anniversary on Little Cayman. Can someone comment of Southern Cross Resort which a friend has recommended?

Also, what are the best snorkeling spots on the island accessible from shore. We're both strong and confident swimmers.

Favorite above water activities and restaurants. Thanks

When is your anniversary? The Caymans are currently closed to all foreign tourists unless you quarantine and there is pretty mixed messaging on when that will change. Some think as early as this summer, some seem to be saying not until late fall. I would take anybody saying anything definitive about the situation with a grain of salt, as there have been several planned reopening dates that have subsequently been pushed back, and the currently "plan" seems to be based on achieving a population vaccination % goal that seems to be a bit of a moving target that they are not close to achieving.

I have not been to Southern Cross Club, but they are a well regarded resort and I have never heard anybody unhappy with their stay there. There are really only 3 resorts on the island, Southern Cross is most known as a "barefoot luxury" type of place, a little more expensive, but they take good care of you. Little Cayman Beach Resort is where we have stayed many times, and it is a great place to go and dive and relax. Nothing ultra luxurious about the rooms, but they are clean, well updated, and very convenient to the dive shop and restaurant. Pirates Point is a little more quaint, and used to be owned by a professional chef, who I believe passed away a few years ago. The experience there was less diving focused and more focused on the good food, and I believe pre-covid they had several chefs sharing the duties there. Not sure what they will be doing when things reopen.

There is decent snorkeling out around Owen Island that would be reachable from SCC with a kayak, otherwise most of the best snorkeling is going to be on the north side of the island along the Bloody Bay Wall or at the east end around Point of Sand. Both of which would require a bike ride, moped rental, or car rental to reach from SCC.

On the north side beyond bloody bay, there is good access to a beach just off Jackson's wall and reef. Nice reef, little or no current.
Isolated but nice beach and easy access to very good shallow snorkeling. You need a bike to get there from Southern Cross. I've shore dived and snorkeled there several times.
I think you should be able to get in the water at Sam McCoy's and at the Spot Bay pier on the north side road as well, but never tried personally. The DMs at Southern Cross will have good local knowledge and can help you out.

I've stayed at both LCBR and Southern Cross and Aggie reviewed both above. Southern Cross is smaller, quieter, and has nicer rooms than the poolview at LCBR. The ocean front rooms at LCBR, however, are outstanding. I personally prefer LCBR because it is a significantly lower price point and IMO Southern Cross is not worth the differential. The price point at LCBR is even lower if you are willing to stay in a poolview room. There is a little more action at LCBR with a happy hour at the bar, Karaoke night, movie night, trivia night, etc. if you are into that sort of thing. Post Covid, it's hard to predict how meals will compare as LCBR featured a large buffet in the past. I presume they will go to a menu now. As a plus, LCBR has an Espresso Bar. I love rising early, getting a double machiatto and sitting on the dock watching the sunrise.

The dive boats at both resorts are spacious and will allow snorkelers. Many of the moorings are shallow or near the shallow reef. The boat will have snacks, water and shade for when you get tired. Probably a better option than going from shore, running out of freshwater and getting sunburned.

The number one activity on LC is diving. There are kayaks and bikes at both resorts and other activities might include, windsurfing, kitesurfing, a picnic at Point of Sand or fishing. I'm told the bonefishing is excellent. Southern Cross advertises as a scuba and fishing resort but should be no trouble to organize a boat and guide from LCBR.

There is no restaurant scene on island but the Hungry Iguana has decent burgers, the bar food at LCBR is good and in the past, you could book an upscale dinner at Pirate's Point even if not staying there.

As an alternative, you might consider Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac if scuba is not your first priority. There is more to do on the Brac, including hiking, rock climbing and a few restaurants.
The Brac Beach Reef Resort has all ocean facing rooms and one of the most beautiful pool and bar areas anywhere. There is good diving on the Brac although many would argue not quite as good as LC, and easy access to snorkeling from shore from multiple locations.

When is your anniversary? The Caymans are currently closed to all foreign tourists unless you quarantine and there is pretty mixed messaging on when that will change. Some think as early as this summer, some seem to be saying not until late fall. I would take anybody saying anything definitive about the situation with a grain of salt, as there have been several planned reopening dates that have subsequently been pushed back, and the currently "plan" seems to be based on achieving a population vaccination % goal that seems to be a bit of a moving target that they are not close to achieving.

I have not been to Southern Cross Club, but they are a well regarded resort and I have never heard anybody unhappy with their stay there. There are really only 3 resorts on the island, Southern Cross is most known as a "barefoot luxury" type of place, a little more expensive, but they take good care of you. Little Cayman Beach Resort is where we have stayed many times, and it is a great place to go and dive and relax. Nothing ultra luxurious about the rooms, but they are clean, well updated, and very convenient to the dive shop and restaurant. Pirates Point is a little more quaint, and used to be owned by a professional chef, who I believe passed away a few years ago. The experience there was less diving focused and more focused on the good food, and I believe pre-covid they had several chefs sharing the duties there. Not sure what they will be doing when things reopen.

There is decent snorkeling out around Owen Island that would be reachable from SCC with a kayak, otherwise most of the best snorkeling is going to be on the north side of the island along the Bloody Bay Wall or at the east end around Point of Sand. Both of which would require a bike ride, moped rental, or car rental to reach from SCC.
Thanks, we're both vaccinated and our trip dates are 1st two weeks in October, just learned Southern Cross is closed those weeks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom