Lithium ion, or nimh? which is best and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what are the pros and cons of lithium ion versus nimh please? (for 21w hid dive light for example)

LiON gives more battery life in the same sized package. However, it's currently more expensive, and requires some "electrickery" to make sure that it charges properly.

Given the choice, I went with LiON for my 21w light.

Li-Ion is much better, specially the LiMn-batteries.
All Li-Ion can be charged in closed housings, for NiMh its dangerous, because NiMh batteries can produce hydrogen gas and hydrogen together with oxygen makes "BBBUUUUMMMMMM".
The life time of LiMn is much better than NiMh.
The different between Li-Ion and LiMn: LiMn dont need any additional electronic for balancing the battery-cells to make it safe.

Michael

Your´right, but regarding lifetime I would not subscribe your point of view, Michael. ;-)
Li-Io (including Li-Mn) and Ni-Mh has the same expected lifetime with 3-4 years. Ni-Mh may last a little longer when handled very good - Li-Io degrades every year regardless if used or not and I do not like high temperatures.
So in the caribean area Ni-MH may still be the best choice in long time sight..time will tell ;-)

greets,
MikeRD03

Your´right, but regarding lifetime I would not subscribe your point of view, Michael. ;-)
Li-Io (including Li-Mn) and Ni-Mh has the same expected lifetime with 3-4 years.
MikeRD03

Hi Michael,
sorry, but sometimes you write nonsense. I think you dont never tested the LiMn (US18650V1) by Sony.

Michael

If u want to know the truth about Li-Io and safty you should get your information from an independent source. So easy as I reads on salvos homepage is it not.
Interested people should read the articles of an accu pope, Isidor Buchmann (click here: Is Lithium-ion safe?)
This article is about safty of Li-Io accus - and don´t mix up Li-Mn and Li-Co accu types.

btw. the one that is without faults should throw the first stone and I do not claim to know everything :) But, in the link above there is also a lot said about lifetime and Li-Io accus - read for yourself. No question that a sony cell will perform better than any no name product. What do sony say regarding their guaranteed lifetimes?

greets
MikeRD03

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom