Listening to music underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt83

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got an H2O Audio iDive 300 for Christmas. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it is an underwater housing for iPods able to go 300ft under. Sounds like a great idea being able to listen to music while diving, but is it a bad idea. Would it be beter to only use it for decompression stops, or is that a bad idea, too. The only downside I could think is that it would be harder to hear your buddy signaling you. But as long as you don't have it too loud, whats the harm. Any thoughts on listinging to music while recreational diving? Good or bad news?

Seems like it might be nice to have on deco stops, but otherwise, in an environment where many senses are suppressed and you are almost completely relying on vision, I would think it would be an unwelcome distraction.

Plus I'd be worried about the damn thing cracking and destroying my ipod! :D

I have been diving at Mermet Springs before where they have had underwater music playing, and I did not find it to be a distraction. I plan to make a World Record attempt for the longest freshwater dive this July, and have a sponsor to provide an underwater audio array for music to help pass the time.

Hmm on the one hand scuba isn't an activity that really relies on sound. Its not like bicycling or even running where there are cars and stuff you constantly need to listen to. Scuba, for the most part, is entirely based on vision and feel. However, on that same hand the lack of sounds is kind of what makes it so that when you do hear something: you listen. If you hear a tapping on a tank, you're buddy might need you. If you hear a boat motor, you may want to take care surfacing. The thing is, even if it's on low, these sounds can be hard enough to hear as it is, so even a bit of music may not be a great idea. Also, somehow being underwater, I wouldn't want to be listening to music, I guess I kind of like the peaceful quiet of underwater.

It's up to you, I'm sure overall its pretty safe, but it's not something I'd buy.

I enjoy the serenity. If I had the option to use music, I'd pass.

Maybe in long deco stops, for sure not during the dive. Many already said and is the same for me, the silence is part of the pleasure of diving. Also, if your buddy needs to call your attention using sound (maybe you're not looking at him to see the signs), this may not be possible. From my point of view I would not want to hear music during the dive nor would like to have a buddy doing that.

I don't know exactly how this waterproof housing for iPod works, but I assume you have to use some kind of earphones to hear the music, isn't it right? If so, I fear this could also cause an equalization problem, isn't it true?

The idive 300 is great for lots of things. I've used one on working dives and decompression stops. It helps pass the time for those situations nicely. If I'm on a fun dive, I don't want to have music, but for dives with more than a half hour of deco... it's nice.

I personally think the sound of bubbles, and the Reef noises are music enough. Try the theme from Jaws on a night dive.

Agreed that music is best for deco stops and other "boring" moments.

iRiver had a nice unit for underwater mp3's that started around $350-400.

No divers were interested so they clearanced them at around $40 bucks a pop. I bought two but admit I have not gotten around to setting them up yet.

I would have to agree that music would be great for decompression, especially since you can setup a playlist to end when your deco is complete. However I would have to go on the side of caution playing music while at depth.

However playing "Go into the Water" ( for those out there who have seen Metalocalypse ) would be pretty sweet:guitarist:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom