List sites that are urchin barrens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am hoping that this thread can be a resource for folks to plan their dives, and list sites that may be impacted by urchins.

I hear alot of second or third hand reports, so hopefully folks can be fairly accurate here. For example, I have not dove S. Monastery or Lovers Point in years, bc I heard those sites are urchin barrens. However, I do not actually know for sure, as I have no first hand evidence. Although Im pretty sure about S. Monastery, bc anyone driving by can see there has been no kelp on the surface for years.

I can say with my own eyes that last year, on the way to HITW, it was a complete moonscape, so I turned the dive to Middle Reef. Last week, Middle Reef had large areas overrun w/ urchins, but a few patches of healthy kelp.

HITW - urchin barren
Middle Reef - large areas overrun by urchins

Anyone care to add or correct/edit?.

south has had a bit of kelp come back in 2 patches, visible from surface this weekend

most of the carmel sites (copper roof, butterfly house, carmel river state, stillwater) have reasonable kelp currently although a lot is likely seasonal bull kelp

One way to see this is by looking at the satellite imagery over time. Google Earth Pro is free, and has this feature: click on "View" and then "Historical Imagery". Note that this is the standalone app, I don't think the in-browser version can do this.

Compare these images around Lover's Point from August 2013, September 2019, and February 2021 (I realize that the kelp is seasonal, so Feb isn't the most representative month here, but the Summertime images after 2019 are of bad quality):

Lovers_2013.png

Lovers_2018.png

Lovers_2021.png

Sure, all NoCal. Im hoping this will be a good resource for everybody.
Okay cool.
I’ve been diving and clearing Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County. I’m seeing more seaweed begin to grow out from the beach and I’m seeing many small abalone in the 4” to 6” range. Those are the biggest reproducers BTW.
Last time I was out I cleared 40 more gallons of purple urchins and I worked the seaweed/urchin barren interface, working outward from the beach.
Just with what I’ve done alone I can see a difference.
One thing I’m noticing is the urchins are getting bigger but there are not many small ones. By small I mean ones the size of golf balls or smaller. Contrasted to last time, I saw a lot more smaller ones. So that tells me that what’s there is growing, but I think they failed to successfully reproduce because I see no very small ones.
Out further in Stillwater Cove it is still a complete urchin barren.
Driving up the coast I’m seeing more and more kelp growing offshore, but still nothing in Stillwater.

Anybody interested in taking part in urchin clearing Stillwater cove you can PM me for details.
First off, there is no culling allowed anywhere along the CA coast except for Caspar Cove in Mendocino County, and Tanker Reef in Monterey County. In Sonoma county you are allowed to take 40 gallons of whole urchins per day with no possession limit. In other words, you don’t have to get rid of the first 40 gallons before you go out and get another 40 gallons. Not that it matters in this case, but legalities…you know.

To harvest urchins you will need:
A large green Trident game bag (biggest they make).
A 50# lift bag with a double ender stainless bolt snap. I use an XS scuba.
Kevlar gloves or leather work gloves.
An ab iron, or a big knife or bar of some sort that you can use to occasionally knock them loose. Sometimes they get stubborn and hunker down.
A 45 gallon Brute trash can to use for measurement and hauling. I use two 20 gallon Brute cans.
A valid CA fishing license.
A pick up truck helps. I can accommodate one other person in my pickup for hauling urchins.
I make an effort to try a few of them. I bust open a few to check the roe but most of the time they are not worth eating. I have a place up on the coast to compost them so you don’t have to take them home. I also have a hand truck so wheel the cans out to the loading zone. Stillwater is very user friendly as far as getting tanks/gear/etc. to the beach. There are picnic tables, barbecues, and a decent not too gross restroom. Parking is $8 day use up in the campground above the cove and there is a very scenic path through the forest that leads to the beach. There is also parking in the turnout along the highway above the cove that is free. Get there early to get a spot if you want to park in the turnout.
Like I said, PM me if you’re interested. I could sure use the help.
If I could get even six of you on one day it would make a HUGE difference. More of course would be better.

Edit to above:

According to reports, while the approach to HITW may be bad, HITW itself is pretty healthy. Lone Metridium and Rock Garden are also reported as healthy.

Middle Reef has large areas of urchin barren.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom