List of diaphragm 1st stages with swivel turret and 5th LP port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I may buy a new reg set soon. I have determined that I am only interested in buying DIN 1st stage regs that are a sealed, balanced, diaphragm design with a swivel turret and a 5th LP on the bottom. I want my regs to work well for BM doubles or sidemount, and in dirty water that is 37 degrees. And without any more soaking or other maintenance than I have to give my current regs (which are sealed, balanced diaphragms).

EDIT: I also need the regs to be able to be O2 cleaned and used as deco regs. And I want to be able to buy service kits for them, to carry with me when I travel. I have thus far been able to buy service kits from DGX for the Hollis and DR regs I have.

At this point, I'm just trying to assemble a complete list of my options. Ones that I know of are:

Deep6 Signature
Deep6 DGX Custom
Dive Rite XT1
HOG D1
HOG D3
Hollis DC1
Hollis DCX (is this just a DC1 with a PVD coating?)
Apeks DST (w/5th Port option) - is this actually a diaphragm reg?
Apeks MTX-R

ScubaPro does not make anything that fits my requirements. But, it is my understanding that they used to make a reg that they only sold in Europe that did. It was basically a Mk 17 with a swivel turret and 5th LP port. Anybody know exactly what that was? I would look out for a used set of those, if I could find them.

AquaLung apparently does not make a 1st stage to fit my requirements. Seems weird.

Apeks - very surprising to me that their Tek3 regs don't have an LP port on the bottom. Why would they not do that??

Atomic only makes piston first stages, I guess. Plus, their use of proprietary sized fittings and such puts me off of their regs.

Halcyon are ScubaPro clones, so neither of theirs work for me, either.

Poseidon? Do they make a 1st stage like I'm looking for?

Are there any 1st stages that I'm missing that fit my requirements?

EDITS: Adding regs to the list as I get info.

Last edited:
DST is a diaphragm but the 5th port is an add-on part you need to pay extra for.

The DST, DC1, and the Deep6 DGX Custom cannot rotate 360 degrees if you have hoses attached. The XT1 can go 360 with hoses but it's tricky and a tight fit.

The TEK3 regs are designed for doubles and has all the hoses going down. It's supposed to minimize "clutter" and be a "safer" configuration. I would not consider them for sidemount.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Atomic regs. They use standard hoses for everything except their SS1 inflator/octo, but all companies use a special inflator/octo hose.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Atomic regs. They use standard hoses for everything except their SS1 inflator/octo, but all companies use a special inflator/octo hose.

I thought I had read where their LP hose that attaches to the 2nd stage reg is not the same size at that connection as most others. If that is wrong, I am happy to be corrected.

But, if I am correct that all their 1st stages are piston regs, then they are still not going to be on my shopping list.

I am going to consider the SP Mk25 EVO, IF the price from my shop isn't too high. However, I'm pretty sure it will be too high, compared to my price for, say, a DR XT1 from my shop. The only reason I would consider the Mk 25 EVO is because it appears to offer no concerns at all about the water temps I'd use it in and everyone I talk to here locally, including all the shop folks, all say that the Mk 25 is the best-breathing reg they've ever used. Period. I've heard that enough to want to own a set and use them for a while just to see if they really live up to the hype. I would put up with the extra post-dive soaking/cleaning required if I can actually tell a difference between them and my current regs (DR XT1/2 set). Again, that's assuming the price is somewhere near the DR price. I'm happy with my DR regs and would not want to spend a lot extra for any other regs, regardless.

But, that's really the only piston reg I would consider.

The Hog D1 also has a swivel and 5th port available. AquaLung is a recreational gear provider. It does not sell anything that is aimed at tech diving. That is not saying some of their gear is not used in tech diving. Their other company Apeks fills that niche.

Atomic only makes piston first stages, I guess. Plus, their use of proprietary sized fittings and such puts me off of their regs.

What propriety sized fittings do they use?

Mk 25 is the best-breathing reg they've ever used. Period. I've heard that enough to want to own a set and use them for a while just to see if they really live up to the hype. I would put up with the extra post-dive soaking/cleaning required if I can actually tell a difference between them and my current regs (DR XT1/2 set).

You will need to consider the Atomic M1 then. It is made for technical and cold water diving and as good breathing characteristic as the MK25/Anything if not better. It is sealed and doesn't require much maintenance. 80% O2 compatible (I saw somewhere it was 100%) out of the box. Reliability is unmatched in its class.

The TEK3 regs are designed for doubles and has all the hoses going down. It's supposed to minimize "clutter" and be a "safer" configuration. I would not consider them for sidemount..

Actually a lot of divers use them for side mount because of the facing down configuration.

Poseidon will be coming out with a swivel turret in 1-2years, but they do not make sealed diaphragms and this next one will be similar to the MK3 on the top side.

Tek3 as mentioned is an "adjustment" of the DS4 and there isn't really a way to put a bottom port on it. You can use a 90* adapter if you want to. They really aren't great for doubles though and I think a lot of people are using them for CCR bottles which is where they are pretty useful instead of using manifold blocks.
@pinshootr I'm not aware of anyone using them for sidemount. I personally wouldn't choose them for sidemount since the lack of swivel is a kink hazard in an air sharing situation.

I highly doubt you will be able to tell a difference with the MK25 at the first stage level compared to your Dive Rite first stage. the second stages will make more of a difference since the XT1 will still flow more air than the tank valve

What propriety sized fittings do they use?

See my last post (#4). :)

You will need to consider the Atomic M1 then. It is made for technical and cold water diving and as good breathing characteristic as the MK25/Anything if not better. It is sealed and doesn't require much maintenance. 80% O2 compatible (I saw somewhere it was 100%) out of the box. Reliability is unmatched in its class.

The only reason for considering the Mk 25 EVO is the sheer number of people that seem to think it is the best breathing reg you can buy. If I had seen that many recommendations for the M1, I might consider it. Also, I have read more than once that all the Atomic regs are the same design and breathe the same. So, why the M1 specifically?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom