Liquivision X1 Battery ID from dead X1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After letting it harden out for about a week, glued some neoprene to the bottom to cover the nuts and took it in the water to 41m. Glad to see that it is again working like it did on the very first dive, 16 years ago!
Nice. I typically use hot glue to pot the insides of computers and various underwater gadgetry. It is easy to install and can be removed by throwing it into a toaster oven at 150 for 10 minutes.

@Reehan

Glad to hear you got it done ! My X1 is still limping along..., when not diving I keep an eye on the charge, and charge it every 4-6 weeks. Since you used epoxy, I take maybe you won't be able to re-do this again ?...

...one comment for a previous post above about gel and pressure... the potting material (gel, hot-clue, etc) does not need to "withstand" pressure per se, all it needs to do it to keep water from contacting the electronics, and from any air to be trapped within the device. As such, something that will not crack, and that will coat the device electronics well without trapped air bubbles is all that is needed. I suppose one could even use the same stuff that is used in arts and crafts, if one is not worried about being able to replace the battery again in the future.... this is probably why Liquivision used a gel, as they did advertise early on that the battery was replaceable...

like these LOL -- Scorpion Paperweights

I came across a lengthy post on the "North West Dive Club" forum dating back to oct 27, 2008 with the topic "Liquivision X1 Battery Question..." in which "Sounder" (Doug?), who stated that he was the Liquivision markening manager states the following:

(quote) The X1 technical dive computer is constructed of an aluminum casing with the internal components completely potted in a semi-rigid epoxy. This means there are no o-rings in the unit to fail - there is no air space to flood or compress... it'd be like trying to flood a rock. It's a solid mass (unquote)

Hence my choice to use the Araldite epoxy

Apart from that, if it lasts me another 10 years I don't think I will bother to replace the battery again :)

@Reehan ...sounds good ! and good on you for getting it done ! I very much like the X1, and the Multideco interface is great ! Happy Diving !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom