Lionfish hunting during OW courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi just did a dive with a company in Aruba and the instructor that had students was hunting lionfish during the course with his students around him , what's up with that ? Is that allowed?

It's not against the law, but I would consider it unprofessional unless it was a spear fishing class :wink:

It's not against the law, but I would consider it unprofessional unless it was a spear fishing class :wink:
Yes , I'm totally on with thr lionfish control by hunting but it seems that doing that with uncertified people is just a recipe for disaster , those guys where oW students and from what I heard they also bring spears during DSD classes, I can't see how the certifying agencies would allow that

As others here have said, legally (i.e. laws of Aruba) it was probably fine.

But your question seems to be about restrictions on instructors during OW classes, and what is allowed by standards of the training agencies. I am 99.9% certain PADI does not allow an instructor to hunt while taking OW students on their course dives.

I could call PADI to be 100% certain... but I'd bet there would be a bit of "why is this moron asking us this and why is he one of our instructors?" if I even posed the question.

Agree with above notes. Any reputable operation would clearly concur that the instructor/DM/guide should have their hands free and attention focused on the students safety. They should not be distracted with spears, cameras, or other tasks that take away from their attention... while it may not be illegal, the instructor and dive operation are assuming an enormous risk, should anything adverse happen to one of those students...

... the instructor that had students was hunting lionfish during the course with his students....
Did he cook the lionfish for you to eat after the course?? If NOT,, then I'd totally Flog him !@!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom