Lionfish cull on Grand Cayman, everybody welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey there all

The Cayman United Lionfish League organises a lionfish cull on Grand Cayman once every 3 months and the next one is almost upon us, it's gonna be an awesome event!

The competition that takes place on Feb 27th & 28th is open for residents, visitors, dive centres, buddy pairs, whoever... the idea is to get as many people along culling lionfish as possible.

Even if you don't shoot, everyone is welcome to the weigh in party on the Saturday & Sunday,. It takes place in a bar so it'll be a time to hang out, drink beer, eat lionfish and swap tall stories with divers, what could be better?

There is a write up in this months edition of Diver Magazine (North America) on the last event if you'd like to read about the kind of thing that goes on.

Registration for the event is on Thursday 25th, everything will be held in Dukes at the top of Seven Mile but anyone who is out east that wants to take part, there is an additional registration being held in Eagle Rays (the bar in Ocean Frontiers)

If you need info etc then feel free to drop me a line, I always love to meet other members of Scubaboard so if you do come along then please say hi, my name's Drew and I'll be shooting for team Divetech

Eat em to beat em!

Dukes.jpg

Too bad we'll miss it. They are quite tasty and I'd get a hoot out of the hunt.

For future, will the D.O.E. license non-residents as cullers?

Too bad we'll miss it. They are quite tasty and I'd get a hoot out of the hunt.

For future, will the D.O.E. license non-residents as cullers?

That's a shame, it really is a good event, hey ho, hopefully next time you're in town.

It sounds like you are well informed so far, you are right that in order to cull lionfish on Grand Cayman you need to do a DoE course.

The course is open to tourists as well as residents so by all means, you are welcome to sit it next time you are here. Although the course itself is written by the DoE, you don't have to do it with them direct, sanctioned dive centres are also allowed to teach it. I teach the course through Divetech and it normally runs at half a day with a dive where of course, we go out hunting.

Divetech are not the only dive centre that run the course, next time you're heading down here just shoot your dive op an email asking if they can hook you up.

Thanks Drew. I am both a hunter and a diver, so, lionfish hunting sounds right up my alley.

Mrs DS and I have dived with DiveTech years ago. I'll look you up next trip. We're heading to Bonaire this week for our yearly trip, but next year I hope to do Grand Cayman again.

...in order to cull lionfish on Grand Cayman you need to do a DoE course.

I am still astonished by this. Imagine that you had to take a course in waste management before you were allowed to pick up litter.

I am still astonished by this. Imagine that you had to take a course in waste management before you were allowed to pick up litter.

Nice analogy.

The idea behind it is that the government don't want to create a new problem by letting an army of untrained divers loose on the reefs with spears. They have rules that people need to operate under and these are all explained in the course. In addition to that , the course covers the wider issue of the lionfish situation which most people find interesting.

During the course, I put quite a bit of emphasis on the safety element. I show pictures of lionfish stings and give anecdotal accounts of people getting hurt hunting, the intention is to create a more aware and therefore safer culler.

The idea behind it is that the government don't want to create a new problem by letting an army of untrained divers loose on the reefs with spears.

I figured something like that; I just don't find that argument compelling.

That said, maybe I'll take the course next time I'm down. It sounds fun, and after all, I would like to learn to use a spear safely, and, like, not get stung.

That's cool, I'd suggest that in order to get the most out of the course, same as any scuba training, make sure you pick the right facility out of the ones on offer. Find someone who is genuinely interested in the subject then you shouldn't be disappointed.

It makes sense to do the course early in your stay so you can then take a spear with you while diving on your remaining days.

It is good fun and in some places, you can swap the fish for money or food/beer credit which helps pass the time while washing up your gear at the end of the day.

I'm always happy to talk lionfish so if you need any info at any time then feel free to pm me.

Thanks Drew. I am both a hunter and a diver, so, lionfish hunting sounds right up my alley.

Mrs DS and I have dived with DiveTech years ago. I'll look you up next trip. We're heading to Bonaire this week for our yearly trip, but next year I hope to do Grand Cayman again.

That sounds cool, it'll be good to meet you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom