Lion Fish in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjnjupiter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Login | Facebook

This past weekend in Jupiter. If you are interested in helping to eliminate Lionfish, contact me. I will dive with you and show you how to safely remove and prepare these fish. I am finding them on all the reefs. I have removed 97 so far this year. 9 on Saturday.

Emerald Charters | Facebook

Emerald Charters
Randy Jordan
561 248 8332

Randy, a lot of folks on this board including myself are struggling to come-up with a thoughtful killing device other than spearguns for whatever reasons. 3ft+/- polespears w/paralyzer tips are frequently mention but how can they easily be attached to rig without carrying in hand? Thanks!

Randy, a lot of folks on this board including myself are struggling to come-up with a thoughtful killing device other than spearguns for whatever reasons.

On the Emerald Charter's facebook page is a great video of the new " Lion Tamer " that Randy has developed. It is not a projectile speargun. Nothing flys out of it an it's completely safe. In fact you might even go so far as to say it's a photography camera MUCK STICK with an adjustable wrist band which would make it acceptable for marine preserves like Pennekamp, that doubles as a lion tamer.

I also saw they are now available at Scuba Works in Jupiter for $30, which is cheap and a great deal. I test dove one last Tuesday with Randy and was amazed at how easy, safe and simple it was to remove the lionfish without even touching the fish.

He's got a great idea in this simple tool.

Login | Facebook

I will be at the Force E tent sale Friday night with the Lion Tamer if you want to see. We have to get everyone OK with the Killing and eating of this pest.

We have yet to see one one our shore dives but have heard of plenty of other divers in the same areas killing them. Thanks for the heads up and we will check out the lion tamer. Hubby would love to slaughter one. Pesky critters!

watched your video, what are you using for gloves?

Gloves are not as important as you think amd actually get in the way. The Lionfish is very docile and when handled by the fas, it just stays paralyzed. They can't prick you if you hold them by the face. Just snip the dorsal fins off with a knife or shears. Also there are 2 very small prick fins on the caudal (low and aft) fins. Cut them off and them you can habdle it like any other fish. We have been serving Sahimi on most trips now. Very good meat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom