Lion fish hunting in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NSB-Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know if it would be possible to bring a small pole spear and kill a few lion fish? I do it all the time in my neck of the woods.They taste so good!! :D

there was a guy at Blue Angel who had is own slings when we were there. I don't know if he was diving with BA or not, and don't know if he had some special permission to do it either,
but it was obvious that Lion fish hunting was the main focus of is trip.

Check with your dive op and see what they say.

p.s. they taste wonderful!! maybe the best fish I've ever had.

It depends on your dive op. Aldora I believe runs lion fish hunting trips outside the marine park in the afternoon occasionally. Other Dive Ops do similar trips if requested and there is enough interest.

You won't be able to hunt/kill lionfish inside the marine park since that is reserved for DMs/operators but outside the marine park, they're fair game.

I bring a small fold-up pole spear; Works great.

I was in Coz last week and both dive master and customer were hunting lion fish. They got one, cut off its fins and feed it to an anemone. Got it on video, I was thinking of shark fining when they did it, but I guess they were trying to clean up the reef.

How common are the Lionfish in Cozumel? I have always thought they were extremely beautiful but I understand that they are reproducing at a rapid rate and killing off other species. It will be surprising to see if they end up letting people kill them inside the park. I actually have a Lionfish tattoo on my arm and would probably have a hard time bringing myself to kill one.

I would say not very. We saw about 4 on the 15 dives we did. We were in Saba/St Kitts last year and saw them on almost every dive of 25.

Aldora. Call them. US based phone number. You will not be disappointed. No reasonable request deferred. Just ask. You can grill them right at the Villa Aldora. Minutes from the northern reefs.
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
I'm sure in your neck of the woods you know about these tools
I had one of these With paralzer tip and left it for a favorite DM:
Lionfish Mini Spear with Tip
One of these would be better for serious hunting as they are getting smarter harder to kill (already has paralyzer tip):
JBL 6' Breakdown Travel Polespear (2D72)
Bring Sling, Pack some EMT shears and a good dive knife and you'll be golden.
Happy Hunting!!!
04.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom