Linking a post across several forums?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRite-SW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Linking a post across several forums?
(I hope this is the right place to ask this)

Hi –

I’d like to add a note to 3 of the “Trips and Local Marketplaces” sub-forums about the free DiveRite Tech-Tour demo-dive events we are hosting in several of the “Regional Travel and DiveClubs” forum regions (ie, Texas Swamp Divers, Deep Dixie Divers, MidWest Muck Divers).

The actual events will be held on NE Oklahoma, SC Texas and NC Texas. Since those ScubaBoard areas are affected, I wanted to be sure the folks in each of the respective regions got a chance to see the info – especially those that may not otherwise look in another area’s forum(s).

Is it ok to make a post in each of the sub-forums, or is there a way to link one post across all of the sub-forums? (and if so, how?)

Thanks!
Ron
DiveRite Southwest

Ron,

We prefer not to have identical threads in separate forums.

Most members browse new posts by using New Posts. They'd probably not be very happy if they were to find several identical threads in their search results.

Also, if there are identical threads, the discussion tends to get split up over several threads making it difficult to keep track of the discussion.

There are of course alternatives.
  1. You can create separate events in the desired local calendars linking to the thread in your forum;
  2. You can also use your signature to promote your event;
  3. You can create separate threads in the desired regional forums containing the region specific information, linking to the thread in your forum for the generic information;
  4. An announcement for several forums can be created by a Moderator, linking to the thread in your forum for the generic information.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

is there a way to link one post across all of the sub-forums? (and if so, how?)

Actually this is a good idea.... and for the reasons that El Orans suggested. WE often get discussions about the same subject going in different forums that should be merged together, but yet they still meet the criteria for the separate forums.

is there any way we can do this (Linking?)

Actually this is a good idea.... and for the reasons that El Orans suggested. WE often get discussions about the same subject going in different forums that should be merged together, but yet they still meet the criteria for the separate forums.

I don't know if the lack of linking is a vBulletin thing or not, but I've seen it in several different forum running this software. IMHO it's a limitation, since it tends to fragment of communities. People end up only reading certain specific sub-forums, and ignore the rest. While a certain amount of organization is good, a certain amount of cross-pollination also helps the community as a whole avoid falling into the trap of segregating itself into a whole bunch of small isolated groups.

Usenet newsgroups are perhaps the classic example where there's a certain amount of cross-flow between groups of readers whenever their interests overlap. OTOH, newsgroups also demonstrates the two-edge sword nature of cross-posting, when people over-use it and spread conversations into areas where they have too little relevance.

Technically, a thread can only live inside one forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom