Link to Lady Luck sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Here's the link to the sinking of the Lady Luck off Pompano, FL It was originally a live streaming on youtube that they have now posted on youtube. They took the video from a drone with a camera flying over the ship as she was sunk.

I was lucky enough to dive it today. The current was ripping and when we arrived there were 7 other boats on site . Most of the boats ended up not doing it due to the current. Besides that it was a nice dive and fun to be on. You can still see some type of oil raising through some small deck holes. On the second dive there was sime thermos and it dropped to 68 at one point. I highly recommend this dive. There are lots of very large swim throughs and plenty to see on it.

Sorry yes it did settle up right. A friend on the dive just started on his video. I am sure he will be updating it.

Last edited:
That article linked above quoted an official who said "...Lady Luck is expected to lure approximately 35,000 divers each year." Almost 100 divers a day, every day?

It lured about 150 divers today between all the boats i saw. I don't see that happening every day.

dove her yesterday..(July 24 2016)..as said above...very strong north current with about 40ft vis and a few cold spots thrown in to keep us alert.....very cool and a must dive while she's new and pristine....touched 130 fsw off the side of the wreck.

That article linked above quoted an official who said "...Lady Luck is expected to lure approximately 35,000 divers each year." Almost 100 divers a day, every day?
I would not be to surprised on this. I too dove her on the 24th, Boats put 200 divers in before 10am. If it was not for the weather front, many charters would have been out there in the PM. Looking at a couple boat schedules and there are at least 3 operations planning 2 trips a day for the next 2 months.

Note that many of the Wrecks off Lauderdale have been down for over 30 years, there are over 150, but only around 30-40 are dove daily. Of these many have deteriorated a lot.

I hope the Lady Luck does bring in the people, so it would help bring in a number of new wrecks to dive. I know my son would kill for a few Navy Warships to get dropped out here.

Am I terribly naïve to ask why so deep? 130ft to the sand is going to discourage the average Joe who is familiar with United Caribbean, Tracy, etc dives in the shallower areas. If the goal is to make 100 divers a day, wouldn’t a true rec friendly dive make more sense?

I am very grateful for all the hard work and financial support this project took, I don’t want to sound like I am complaining, it is merely a question I have shared with a few friends and all of us just shrugged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom