Limited time in Thailand, anything that I absolutely cannot miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be spending 2 weeks in Thailand during April, and am trying to decide whether or not I should try to get some diving in. The trip is mainly to see the cities and the sights (Bangkok & Chiang Mai) rather than hang out on the beach. If I do dive, I think I will be limited to Thailand only. If I don't do any diving, I think I can make a short side trip out to Siem Reap or Hanoi.

Is there anything that makes scuba diving in Thailand stand out? I don't have a huge amount of experience, but I've done the Great Barrier Reef, all of the major islands in Hawaii, the Great Lakes, Monterey CA, and a few other places.

I think this is really a question that only you can answer. If it was me, I would probably try to spend the entire 2 weeks diving from a liveaboard, even if that meant diving the same areas again and again, but that is more about how I feel about diving than about the quality of the diving.
Also, I have travelled in Thailand many times and do not need to see Bangkok again every year. It is really about what is most important for you.

I've been to Thailand every year since 2008. The first couple years I started my trip in Bangkok, but found that four or five days there was plenty. In 2010 I spent the whole trip on Phuket, and have continued to do so since then. I got certified for Scuba in 2012 and did my first liveaboard up through the Similan Islands in 2013. I only wish I had started diving in Thailand sooner.

Maybe some day I'll make it up to Chiang Mai, but there's no diving up there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Head down to Khao Lak and get on a 3 days/3 nights liveaboard to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. The price is around 19.000 THB all inclusive. You get to dive some of Thailands best dive sites, you save money on accommodation and food and you get some more experience. You can take a flight from Bangkok to Phuket airport, which takes around 1h20min and another 45 min to Khao Lak. There are a couple of liveaboards doing this trip so let me know if interested.

Head down to Khao Lak and get on a 3 days/3 nights liveaboard to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. The price is around 19.000 THB all inclusive. You get to dive some of Thailands best dive sites, you save money on accommodation and food and you get some more experience. You can take a flight from Bangkok to Phuket airport, which takes around 1h20min and another 45 min to Khao Lak. There are a couple of liveaboards doing this trip so let me know if interested.

+1 for this, excellent excursion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can think of plenty interesting places to visit between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
Siem Reap is very interesting and Laos is just across from the Mekong but you only get 2 wks!

Back
Top Bottom