Lightweight Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinylia

Reaction score

Hi,

I've been living in Asia in the last few years, and the asian airlines are not as friendly with the weight allowance (15kg only!). So, I'm looking for lightweight fins, flexible and perform well in currents. I've been looking at Mares Volo Power or Oceanic Vortex. Input/suggestions?

Thanks!

For light fins, if you will be diving in warm water only, full foot is the way to go. Other than that, split fins tend to be heavier, so avoid those if you have big time weight concerns

My girlfriend has a pair of force fins that she liked well enough (I do too, but still haven't tried them), though she is currently moving to jetfins because they are better for cave diving and alternate kicks. She'll keep the FF's for travel though. The FF's are small, light and work fine in currents. You can use them with boots, or with dive socks and/or bare feet if you add the comfort instep accessory. However, they are designed to be used with a certain style of flutter kick (see forcefin.com), and are not great for alternate kicks. Also, some people just dislike them. Others love them.

Oceanic Viper, very light solid performers.

Mares avanti tre fullfoots are pretty lightweight and powerful enough for currents.
No matter what brand a fullfoot is almost always lighter and in some instances more efficient.

The Mares Volo Power is an excellent fin and lightweight. I don't recommend full foot fins for diving myself, due to increased amounts of weight you have to be able to push around in the water when you're wearing a bunch of scuba gear. A fullfoot is lighter, but typically smaller and doesn't tend to handle the emergency situations you might run into while scuba diving. I know a lot of people here disagree with me on that one, but after diving 32 years, I'd have to say use a dive fin for diving and a snorkeling fin for snorkeling.

Good luck,
Britt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom