Lights for an AGA mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catskier

Registered
Reaction score
Hello: I am thinking about adding a light to my AGA mask and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different options. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Although most of our diving is limited to zero vis I would like a head mounted light that could help on night dives with better than normal visibility.
2. I wouldn't mind something with replaceable batteries so charging wouldn't be an issue.
3. It has to be mounted to the AGA so both of my hands are free to continue searching - an easy disconnect from the mask would also be beneficial for cleaning, storage and when not being used.
4. Cost - considering that this will only be usefull on a small percentage of our dives I don't want to spend $500.

My questions: Does anyone have any preference over cannister style vs. a stand alone light? Are there concerns with entanglement with the cannister? How about donning / doffing the BC? How about the water cords on the cannister lights, are these a problem for cleaning, etc? How about durability? Ease of attachment to AGA?

Thanks for any feedback / recommendations.

I do not like to advertise on this forum but I wanted to let you know that there is an "off the shelf" product that will meet your needs for around $200.

If you visit the Dive Rescue International homepage at: Dive Rescue International - Water Rescue Training & Equipment you will see the product pictured in the right hand column.

It is also pictured on our equipment page at:
Dive Rescue International - Equipment for water rescue professionals

The stock number is #7022 and can be ordered by calling 800-248-3483.

In addition to carrying LED lights, a video camera system can also be mounted with ease. The system was designed by a public safety diver and is intended to be low profile, easy to install and remove, and reasonably priced for those teams on a tight budget. I am of the strong opinion that it is a quality unit and that is why it was accepted by Dive Rescue International as one of the products we sell. Because it uses high intensity LED lights, one set of standard AA batteries lasts for multiple dives and rechargable batteries are not needed. Though you can substitute with rechargable batteries eaily, I would stay with the KISS off the shelf batteries as the light should burn for about 12 hours on just two batteries. If you want redundancy, you can purchase a second system that would mount on the other side of the mask (one left, one right) or you can purchase a second light and mount two lights on one side of the mask. I hope this helps.

Blades

Single light above, double lights below...

Last edited:
I'll second Blades' recommendation. These are great lights that work well when you have some viz. The let you have your hands. Only drawback is blinding others if you look at them with the lights on.

Mark D.

My DSO at the Aquarium mounts a small UK light on the top strap so he can see his camera etc.

Jack

I would avoid a canister because you just added one more wire to the mess. As a commercial diver we do use wire powered lights on our hats, but we have assistants to help remove the hat and sort the wires and hoses between dives. Canisters were devised for divers that do not mount the light on their head but need a long buring light. In PSD you probably don't dive longer than one hour per cylinder so a four or eight hour dive light built for cave penitration is overkill.

Some commercial divers around here use a D" cell dive light duct taped to the handle on top of the helmet. For shallow water work most dives are four hours or less and those standard dive light work just fine. And yes, it could get knocked off, but "so what" if your surface supplied and wearing a helmet.

I have one of the light mounts mentioned by blades, although I got mine off ebay when they first came out for much cheaper (like $145 or something) and directly from the person who invented it.

Although I have yet to actually utilize the unit it is there if I should want it. back then it did not come with the S-Sun light so I would have to use a pelican LED 2410.

it is fantastically designed and built very well. much thought went into its design and construction which makes it easy to use and very functional.

on the flip side i wish I could order the components individually from the manufactures website. If you contact them they will sell any component individually though, I just like click and ship options. Its not to big of deal for me though as I dont have the finding or use to justify owning 2 units although I will eventually.

You can also get an S-sun mount for the top AGA strap from the same manufacture as the other bracket/mount system. its cheaper but not as functional as it only allows 1 type of light to be mounted and no cameras or anything else.

As for lights, I think if money was no issue I would go with the Dive Rite 500 Lumen LED. it allows use as a canister light or hand held depending on your needs. its expensive and since I like things to be balanced I would get 2. However the pelicans work good as do the S-sun lights from what I have seen (even seen them in caves). All those options use disposable or rechargeable batteries and all are LED and all are quality products.

I have heard its nice to have 4-6 AA batteries on the mask (in a light) to offset buoyancy. They make weights to do the same thing but having a light all the time works just as well.

If you are just getting into an AGA be sure to pick up the ABV, its worth every penny.

The dive lights mentioned by Blades are the ones to get. I have been using them since before they were released to the public by the inventor. These lights and rails can also be used to mount a camera on your mask. nothing like being hands free. You can go to Dive Rescues web site to by the whole package or add ons.

The Inodive Accessory Rail System can be ordered with a "Universal Mount". This type of mount enables the attachment of many different kinds of lights, including canister light heads, and also small video cameras.

The system adapts to a divers individual needs easily. When performing working dives it is neccessary to have both hands free.

When several divers are in the water wearing head mounted lights, like during a hull sweep, they agree to look down when facing each other during the pre dive briefing.

I have not used the lights previously discussed. My prefered light for my AGA is mae by Dive Lights International. I have the AGA mount attached to the top strap of the spyder and find it to be extraordinarily effective. ///:::...NiteRider Dive Lights International...:::\\\ I have used it on night ops both above and below water and find it to be a very useful and adaptable light.

Mark Phillips
PSDiver.com

Back
Top Bottom