Lightroom vs Darkroom iOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Figured I would ask here as I haven't been running in photography circles that much anymore.

I recently found my RX100 again, and figured I would start using it, as I've felt really limited by my phone. But I've been away from doing photo editing for so long that my copy of Photoshop and Photoshop Touch no longer works on any of my devices.

So I am looking at new software, I've been editting on the free version of Lightroom using JPGs and I like the software, but I don't like paying $5 a month, I am tempted by the $10 a month plan that includes Photoshop, but to be honest I don't think I really care enough to spend the sort of time editing photos in Photoshop.

But in the end I prefer to own my software. So that brings me to Darkroom which can be purchased for $49, a lot of people rave about it. Has anyone compared the two side by side? Pros and Cons? Are they financially stable? I paid for Photoshop Touch and that went to waste after Adobe decided it was eating into their sales too much.

The tools I typically use aren't that special, the most complex thing I do these days is playing with the curves. So light selectable editing would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

I haven't played with Darkroom but Darktable is quite powerful and free

I've not used Darkroom but I have been using Lightroom for nearly 15 years.

While Lightroom is great for editing photographs, its main benefit is that it is a database for all your photographs. I have over 250k photographs in my Lightroom catalog but I can easily and quickly find all my photographs of any species over the time I've been using it. It is also very easy to automate certain tasks making it powerful.

For editing, it doesn't actually modify your original files but rather just stores all the changes that have been made and reapplies them. This makes it non-destructive and you can easily go back an undo any changes you made.

If you don't need any of those features and you're just making small adjustments to the occasional photograph, it isn't worth the subscription fee, in my opinion.

So that brings me to Darkroom which can be purchased for $49

maybe I missed something, but I just looked up darkroom and it’s $49 for a 10day licence of darkroom core. If you want a persistent license, it is $495 for darkroom core and $1395 for darkroom pro. Ouch!

maybe I missed something, but I just looked up darkroom and it’s $49 for a 10day licence of darkroom core. If you want a persistent license, it is $495 for darkroom core and $1395 for darkroom pro. Ouch!

I think you are looking at a different program.

‎Darkroom: Photo & Video Editor

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.48.36 PM.png

Must be. The software by the same name that I found is here:
Pricing - Darkroom Software

I was forced to Lightroom after Apple abandoned Aperture, but I’ve never been truly happy with Lightroom’s workflow and software rental model, so I’m alway looking for a competitor.

I was forced to Lightroom after Apple abandoned Aperture, but I’ve never been truly happy with Lightroom’s workflow and software rental model, so I’m alway looking for a competitor.

As @bvanant mentioned a couple of posts ago, darktable is an opensource and free alternative to Lightroom. It's not quite as sleek as Lightroom, but still very much on a par with it capability wise

Well Adobe got me, I happened to see $20 a year offer when I accidentally clicked on the healing brush.

So I got 40GB of the cloud storage, and it also gives you the desktop version as well.

I got an even better deal.

I bought a couple of portable hard disks (Seagate One Touch 5TB) and each came with 4 month subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan (Lightroom+Photoshop+20GB). I then had an older hard disk fail. It was under warranty and the replacement also had the 4 month subscription. I have a year for free. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom