Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
With this combination, I don't know how anyone can go wrong. For cataloging and organizing your photos Lightroom 4 (LR4) is an awesome product. I think the best part is that none of the editing damages the photos or alters the pixels. I get 90% of what I need to do done in LR4. It is only for the heavy duty changes that I need to go to PS CS6. There are a ton of professional photographers that now use LR4 over Adobe Bridge. Except for some really great plugins, I don't see how this combination can be beat.

Does anyone else use this high powered combination? BTW, I am on creative cloud since I work for a college so I get a great deal, otherwise it is a bit of a commitment in cost.

I use LR4 & PS Elements 11, so close but not quite. I don't need to use PS very much, but every now and then like most I guess.

That's the way I do it. 100% of mmy photos run through LR. Then 5-10% go to photoshop if I need to manipulate the photo in a way LR can't.

How do you like creative cloud? We're considering it because we are due for an upgrade.

So far, so good with creative cloud. No problems. I think you have to go like 30 days in a row with no internet coverage to create a problem with the usage. I love the fact that I have just about every single Adobe product at my fingertips.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 11:04 PM ----------

I highly recommend the use of Topaz Labs Plugins. They are amazing.

I heard some great things about Topaz. Right now I have the Nik Software plugins and Photomatix but was wondering if there was some specialty item that Topaz is known for. What do you use Topaz for?

Topaz Detail filter and B&W are outstanding. Try them with a thirty day free trail.

I will and compare the results and usability with Nik's Silver Efects Pro for B&W.. Thanks!

---------- Post added April 11th, 2013 at 07:53 AM ----------

What are the typical reasons you would go to PS for process a photograph instead of LR?

Removing large, distracting objects from a photo

More options for sharpening photos

Changing backgrounds

More involved photo manipulation when a photograph just does not cut it or needs it.

LR is absolutely fantastic for 90% of what you need to do but PS is more for changing, manipulating photographs or creating/graphics type work. I think that LR4 is a much more "user friendly" product whereas PS is not. There was a time when I was 80% competent in LR but maybe use 2% of the capabilities of PS, even though I had it for years. Maybe someone else can hit the nail on the head with a better response for your question.

I have LR3.6 and thinking about version 4. Is the upgrade worth it and are there features that version 4 has that make it compelling to spend the money and upgrade from version 3.6?

BTW, I find that getting rid of backscatter in LR3.6 a pain in the keyboard when dealing with lots of it (I shoot mainly in turbid waters).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom