Lighthouse Reef atoll resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any recent experience with the resorts / hotels on Lighthouse reef atoll? I see Itza and Huracan. Both look a bit rustic, but I've stayed in a similar setup in Little Corn Island that was cool and comfortable without AC.

Stoo is probably your resident expert on this one, and you could PM him if he doesn't respond soon. There are also a number of reviews on this site if you do a search or look for Stoo's comments. We stayed at Huracan a couple of years ago and are going back this February, I guess that says something. We enjoyed our overall experience, thus the reason for our return. You're correct in that both are a bit "rustic". Huracan, as I understand it, was originally a hurricane shelter and sits a bit inland on the island. I would probably fit it in the "eco" resort category due to the amenities. Composting toilets, batteries are charged via the generator during the day, etc. Small operation with a limited number of guests. There is no AC and since the building sits a little inland there is very little night breeze. The shower water is sun heated and so the temp often varies. Staff was good, food was good, diving was great. If you don't mind giving up a few creature comforts I would highly recommend it.
We walked over to Itza a few times. We knew the manager at the time, and bar tender, as they had both worked at TIR previously. I'm pretty sure they have both since moved on, or back to TIR. I had a hard time trying to figure out Itza. They had some guests, they had some long term guests in the building, (or residents?), it appeared a bit of a strange vibe to me. There are some good reviews on the place, not my cup of tea.

I'm always interested in this subject, I haven't quite been able to get my wife to do a vacation with no AC :). We've done blackbird, which is about the closest you can get (any turneffe resort) that still had AC outside of the Aggressor's.

I'm always interested in this subject, I haven't quite been able to get my wife to do a vacation with no AC :). We've done blackbird, which is about the closest you can get (any turneffe resort) that still had AC outside of the Aggressor's.
Yeah, this time it's my wife who brings up staying in these places. Usually she also wants AC, thus my interest in the ventilation.

Yup, it's hot. The fans they had, at least at that time, were pretty poor at moving any air. We slept on top of the sheets, under mosquito nets. Didn't notice the bugs being bad inside the rooms however. The compositing toilets are in the adjoining bathroom and do have a bit of an odor as well. Not terrible, but you know it is there. None of these things were deal breakers for us. The diving is some of the best in Belize, which definitely weighs in a little on why we are going back.
We're also staying a week on the same trip at Off the Wall out on Glovers. It too is an "eco" resort, similar number of guests and operation. We've also stayed there a few times before. Their cabanas are right on the water with consistent breezes and no bugs. Sleeping is very comfortable there without AC.
One thing I do like AC for, beside the obvious, is that it draws the moisture out of everything including my ears. I have an easier time keeping my ears dry and clearing is easier on repetitive dive days.

Hey all... Sorry for the tardy reponse. I'm booked into Huracan for the 12th time this winter. There is nothing I dislike about this place. Having said that, my other favourite place is a half-sunk raft in the middle of Nowhere, British Columbia.

Huracan is really great though. Historically, the food is always amazing, the rooms are clean and comfy, and I believe the diving is the best overall diving in the Caribbean.

As for rustic, a couple of things come to mind. There is not AC and the place is set back 100 yards from the shore, so breezes are relatively absent. Each room has a good fan however, and normally, that's more than enough to keep comfy. The place runs on solar augmented with a generator that may run in the evening. If everyone is aware of this and minimizes power useage (lights off when not needed, unplug chargers when finished etc), the batteries last 99% of the night and basically poop out as your walking up. Three dives and a tip of rum helps the sleeping.

They also use composting toilets which take some getting used to. These look, and behave like regular toilets, other than for the 10 seconds you're actually flushing. Mrs Stoo isn't a fan of anything other than fancy, but she's fine with this.

Internet is limited, but ok for basic use. Don't plan on updating FaceBook or streaming NetFlix. It ain't gonna happen.

Did I mention we've been there 11 times? I've been pretty much everywhere else in the Caribbean and the only place I'd say may be tied with this is Little Cayman, wall side.

As for Itza... it's kinda weird. There is generally no one there. The odd time there has been, they've come out to dive with us. The only exception is that on a few occassions, there has been marine bio student groups there but they show up in a chartered boat. And they snorkel all week. Unless something has changed, they don't have a dive operation there at all. They also run on generators entirely, so they run all night generally. It's owned by a group of absentee investors and I suspect it's main purpose is as a tax write-off. It looks like kind of a cool place, but I have no experience directly.

So that's about it. Feel free to ask any questions about Huracan.

Footnote. I should perhaps add that we have become friends over the years with the owners. As a result, we get a bit of a discount when we go. I also do most of their photography. This doesn't change my opinion, but I thought I should be honest about that.

Hey all... Sorry for the tardy reponse. I'm booked into Huracan for the 12th time this winter. There is nothing I dislike about this place. Having said that, my other favourite place is a half-sunk raft in the middle of Nowhere, British Columbia.

Huracan is really great though. Historically, the food is always amazing, the rooms are clean and comfy, and I believe the diving is the best overall diving in the Caribbean.

As for rustic, a couple of things come to mind. There is not AC and the place is set back 100 yards from the shore, so breezes are relatively absent. Each room has a good fan however, and normally, that's more than enough to keep comfy. The place runs on solar augmented with a generator that may run in the evening. If everyone is aware of this and minimizes power useage (lights off when not needed, unplug chargers when finished etc), the batteries last 99% of the night and basically poop out as your walking up. Three dives and a tip of rum helps the sleeping.

They also use composting toilets which take some getting used to. These look, and behave like regular toilets, other than for the 10 seconds you're actually flushing. Mrs Stoo isn't a fan of anything other than fancy, but she's fine with this.

Internet is limited, but ok for basic use. Don't plan on updating FaceBook or streaming NetFlix. It ain't gonna happen.

Did I mention we've been there 11 times? I've been pretty much everywhere else in the Caribbean and the only place I'd say may be tied with this is Little Cayman, wall side.

As for Itza... it's kinda weird. There is generally no one there. The odd time there has been, they've come out to dive with us. The only exception is that on a few occassions, there has been marine bio student groups there but they show up in a chartered boat. And they snorkel all week. Unless something has changed, they don't have a dive operation there at all. They also run on generators entirely, so they run all night generally. It's owned by a group of absentee investors and I suspect it's main purpose is as a tax write-off. It looks like kind of a cool place, but I have no experience directly.

So that's about it. Feel free to ask any questions about Huracan.

Footnote. I should perhaps add that we have become friends over the years with the owners. As a result, we get a bit of a discount when we go. I also do most of their photography. This doesn't change my opinion, but I thought I should be honest about that.

Thanks Stoo,

I was talking with Itza last May (when I was trying to convince my wife about the no air conditioner) then I found your posts and switched my conversations up to Huracan with her :D

We ended up not doing Belize and decided to do a trip to Cozumel instead since it was cruise shipless at the time and we knew we wouldn't get to experience that again. Huracan is definitely on my list, the only thing negative I could find on it was you don't get the breezes there since it sets back (like you just mentioned in your post).

Always enjoy your informative posts!

That's good! I am most definitely not a fan of hot and humid (I'm a Great Lakes diver.... I love cold!) and most of the time, it isn't an issue for me at Huracan. A day of diving and a nip of rum may be the answer! Having said that, I don't know I'd want to go in July!

Enjoy your trip to Coz. I can't fault your cruise-ship logic!

We normally go in March but I’ve been there in February and never seen one during the day. If you're outside in the evening, you’ll want some spray.

They do burn mosquito coils around the front common area that doubles as lounge and dining room.

I imagine they’re evil during the summer and rainy season but they’re not really open then I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom