light set up for gopro with pole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

your advice has been great in the past... so here I am again with another question! :)

I am using a gopro3 black with a pole, which i like very much because it allow me to get much closer to the subjects I want to film which, in my opinion, is essential.

Now, I am pretty happy with the SNP filter, but when i go below 60ft in blue water or shallower in green water (south california, where i am based atm) I lose a lot of colors etc.

I am thinking to invest in 1 light first. What is the best mount option you recommend?

Would you mount the light on the pole? Has somebody experience with that? Does it work well or it is too close to the camere and creates backscatter?

Would you mount the light on the BCD on the shoulder opposite to the one you typically hold the pole with? Does it provide enugh light given that the camera will be about 2ft in front of the light? Does it create weird shadow?

Any suggestion is really appreciated!

CJ

Hey guys,

your advice has been great in the past... so here I am again with another question! :)

I am using a gopro3 black with a pole, which i like very much because it allow me to get much closer to the subjects I want to film which, in my opinion, is essential.

Now, I am pretty happy with the SNP filter, but when i go below 60ft in blue water or shallower in green water (south california, where i am based atm) I lose a lot of colors etc.

I am thinking to invest in 1 light first. What is the best mount option you recommend?

Would you mount the light on the pole? Has somebody experience with that? Does it work well or it is too close to the camere and creates backscatter?

Would you mount the light on the BCD on the shoulder opposite to the one you typically hold the pole with? Does it provide enugh light given that the camera will be about 2ft in front of the light? Does it create weird shadow?

Any suggestion is really appreciated!

CJ
What kind of light are you thinking of getting.

I would suggest for your pole you can use the new Z Gear light mount for your camera pole. It works great and totally adjustable. Its puts your light 4/1/2 inches away from your pole to give an offset angle. You can move the light to the sides of the pole or leave it under or above depending your you want the light to illuminate. The light can be rotated to allow you to make finer adjustments when filming as well.

11pole mount.jpgGOPR0191.jpgGOPR0189.jpg

This is an example light mount for your camera pole using a Archon ll video light.
More info on this light mount http://www.zgear.org/Dive-Lights.html

You can also use the standard bcd light mount below your shoulder or the shorty mount , on the lower part of the bcd. These light mount also work great in conjunction with other camera mounts.
GOPR0206.jpgSnapshot 4 (8-10-2014 11-50 AM).pngDive light and Gopro Mounts (2).jpg

Last edited:
I've also been using the same setup as pictured above, a torch clamped onto the pole (with that exact light) and it is my favorite choice of setup, because it is one hand operation.

You mentioned a major concern with the shadow. Yes, as you extend the pole/gopro further (say 1 meter), the effectiveness of the light gets weakened especially when filming an object and it also creates shadow from gopro partially. Solution: carry another torch attached to your BCD and use it from a different angle.

I've also been using the same setup as pictured above, a torch clamped onto the pole (with that exact light) and it is my favorite choice of setup, because it is one hand operation.

You mentioned a major concern with the shadow. Yes, as you extend the pole/gopro further (say 1 meter), the effectiveness of the light gets weakened especially when filming an object and it also creates shadow from gopro partially. Solution: carry another torch attached to your BCD and use it from a different angle.

Can you post a picture of your clamp that you are using with your camera pole. The one in the picture above is off set 4 1/2 inches away from the light and the angle of the light is totally adjustable. Is your light able to be adjusted. Did you purchase your light mount or DYI?

My clamp isnt long, though rotatable.

u6ejytur.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

My clamp isnt long, though rotatable.

u6ejytur.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

Thanks for pics. I was going to say you probably found it is best to use with pole not too extended, to avoid shadows.
I'm thinking of offering a small extension for those who wish to have a a longer arm what do you think? I found the light mount helps me steady the shots because at times I use 2 hands, one on the light mount arm and one holding the pole. I have another light mount that can hold the other wider video photo lights like sola/photo etc... as well. I'm happy with the current length because it is still 4 to 5 inches away from the camera yet it feels streamlined as well. You have a nice camera pole set up.

hey Frank,

we met at the OE tent sale! :) Remember me? I got my rescue diving certificate.. did you do the advance?

I like your set up, could you make the clamp a bit longer, to avoid backscatter?

Maybe not as long as in the bcd long arm mount but a bit longer than the one you have now? I would also mount it closer to the camera, so when you extend the pole also the light gets closer to the subject and there are no shadow problems.. what do you think? something along these lines:

https://www.facebook.com/1404325793...0432579364145/680856751988389/?type=3&theater

but with 2 clamps?

Carlo

hey Frank,

we met at the OE tent sale! :) Remember me? I got my rescue diving certificate.. did you do the advance?

I like your set up, could you make the clamp a bit longer, to avoid backscatter?

Maybe not as long as in the bcd long arm mount but a bit longer than the one you have now? I would also mount it closer to the camera, so when you extend the pole also the light gets closer to the subject and there are no shadow problems.. what do you think? something along these lines:

https://www.facebook.com/1404325793...0432579364145/680856751988389/?type=3&theater

but with 2 clamps?

Carlo

I didn't know that was you, I can easily make the arm on the mount longer for you. It will definitely be better closer to the camera for video lighting purposes.
But I would encourage you to try different positions and see what is both comfortable and good lighting. Try not to extend the the pole to far out when using the light.

Back
Top Bottom