Light Monkey Customer Service Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd post this in the Manufacturer's Forums, but LM doesn't seem to have a spot there and the service and support Corey has given me merits (at a minimum) that they get some good press.

A while ago my old Salvo 21W HID 14.4V developed a small cut in the cord during a dive here in HI, and while the can didn't flood the lid itself did. I emailed LM with my problem and they told me to send it in, so I boxed it up and dropped it in the mail to FL. Maybe a week or so later I got a call from LM, who took the time to explain everything that had gone wrong due to the flooding.

Rather than just replacing the switch, boot, and cord, though, they did a complete tear-down and clean up of the light's seals, etc. -- even machined a groove into the back of the light head so I could add a loop for not blinding buddies when clipping the light off. The price for all this was a whopping $35 or so in parts, plus a small cost to ship the light back to me. All that labor? No charge.

The one thing they noted was they they couldn't do a burn test: my ancient battery wouldn't even take a charge. So, they suggested replacing it with a newer 11.1V LiPo battery and charger. They offered me a great deal on the battery and charger and noted that the new battery would be easier on the bulb and ballast than the older one; or, if I needed to scrimp, they could offer a NiMH battery and charger for somewhat less. Because my battery had been good for 4+ hours of burn time before the cord and lid flooded, and the battery didn't seem to have suffered any damage, I decided to hold off on spending several hundred bucks on a new battery and see how it fared on my own charger.

The light arrived and sure enough, battery wouldn't take a charge. So I called LM back and paid an excellent price for a new 11.1V LiPo battery and charger, which arrived in due course. When I got it, the light burn tested for 4.25 hours before I got bored, shut it off, charged it back up, and went diving.

The light worked great on my first dive, but wouldn't ignite at all after turning it off and then jumping back in for the second dive. I went home and dropped in a new 21W HID bulb, but no change. Emailed LM again, who asked that I send the whole thing back for them to get it properly sorted. So I did.

And they did. Boy did they ever... the light arrived yesterday. Nobody had called to tell me what was broken or what it would cost, just a tracking number email and then it showed up fixed with a new ballast. I can't wait to take it diving again this weekend :D

Light Monkey, you guys rock. For the same reason guys like Atomic Aquatics and Shearwater rock: you make some of the very best gear and give your customers the best, easiest to use, most personalized support. And I know that whenever I need a new light (I'm eying a 35W or 50W for wrecks), it's going to be from Light Monkey. When anyone I dive with needs a light, you guys are going to be who I suggest.

I just came across this post looking for the same thing as Dr Lecter above - I had some issues with a light that I flooded, note, I flooded, not defective.

I sent an email to the generic Light Monkey address and got a reply from Corey within 1 hour, no random questions or any queries just a direct reply to my mail with indicative costs to repair and where to send it.

I had it shipped out the following day and according to my Fed-Ex tracking it was delivered last Friday, I received an email yesterday (Monday) saying it was already fixed, fully tested and ready to ship - it even came with a full invoice and payment options which was way less than I had expected.

All in all impressed is not even close to the words I'd use, I thought this service was unreal - by far the best I've even experienced in the dive industry. Awesome guys, as Dr Lecter said - you definitely rock :)

I agree. I had a Salvo -- not a Light Monkey, mind you -- light go down a week before I was supposed to leave on a cave diving trip. I sent the light back to them; they tore it down the night it got there and fixed it the next day. And then Corey came in to the shop on a Saturday, when they are not open, to meet a friend of mine who was in Florida, so he could bring the light home to me in time for my trip.

And then there was the time a latch failed, and they FedExed me a new one at their own expense, so I could make another trip.

We own four of their lights, and we dive them constantly. They VERY rarely need service, but when they do, the response from LM is beyond compare.

Same deal. I had a Halcyon Helios flood last year in salt water. I took it in to them and they gave me a great price to fix it. They never once balked at the fact it was a Halcyon. Due to the great service I received, I am now the very proud owner of a 35w HID with side mount lid from them.

The reopening of this thread is timely indeed as I'm in High Springs cave diving this week and found myself at Light Monkey today. I have one of the first Salvo 35 W HIDs and the positive battery wire pulled out of the Anderson connector. So I called them this morning and asked if I could bring it in for repair. They begin repairs immediately upon my arrival. Derek cut away the shrink wrapping, inspected the batteries, rewired from the battery out, reshrink wrapped the battery pack, added new Anderson connector and then cleaned the glass bulb housing, inspected the bulb and cord and replaced each of the o-rings! I asked how much I owed them and they said it is free!

They also recommended sending it in to upgrade the cord, further clean-up and run a burn test on the battery for $25 + shipping. I've done this 3x before since the original 2006 purchase.

What impressive and responsive service!! Thank-you Light Monkey!

Hi Karl, which email did you use to contact LM? I have sent them a couple of emails using the address they show on their website since December. I didn't get any reply from them. :(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Ditto. They upgraded my 21W HID Salvo from 5ah to 10.4ah Li-ion in a snap. They did not charge me for a larger second-hand canister (which is in great shape), only for the new battery. You're in good hands with these guys.

I am sure they are but I have had a difficult time getting their attention.:depressed: I have been using the same email address that Karl was using and also their online contact form. I have just sent them another email using a different account of mine in case my previous emails ended up in their junk mailbox.

I am sure they are but I have had a difficult time getting their attention.:depressed: I have been using the same email address that Karl was using and also their online contact form. I have just sent them another email using a different account of mine in case my previous emails ended up in their junk mailbox.
PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom