LIft Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody got a lift bag or two around you don't need/want/extras, please PM me. Looking for sizes around 50-100lbs. Thanks.

What are you trying to salvage? Are you working from a boat anchored close?

Interested in bringing up submerged logs from a river.

I have two subsalve quad bags. 55lb and 100 lb rated. They are a little bulky for what I now use bags for in classes. They're pretty heavy duty and don't roll up small enough to fit in pockets and since I'm not doing any real salvage I could let them go. With what you are doing these sound like a possible choice. They are very cut resistant and can double as dry bags. Have opv releases on them as well as manual dumps. Shoot me a PM. I could get them in the mail this afternoon if we can agree on a price.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Interested in bringing up submerged logs from a river.

A 50 or 100lb lift bag might not be enough to do the job. They should be enough to lift the logs but might not be enough to break the suction if the logs are partially buried. If the bags are enough to break suction then they will take off to the surface faster then you may want. You might be better off running a line to the log from shore and pulling it out with a vehicle. If you are working from a boat you could try a continues feed rope come along that will be enough to break suction but will not allow the log to shoot to the surface. Either one of these methods should be safer then a lift bag and will save air so you can get more done with fewer fills.

Rope Come Along.jpg

Thank you, that is a good idea about the come along for the river ones. But some of the logs we have found are in piles at the bottom of lakes in Maine (from the old river drives) pretty good distance from shore. The top ones were able to be moved, but yes the bottom ones were in the mud with pretty good suction. We'll leave those for later.

Thank you, that is a good idea about the come along for the river ones. But some of the logs we have found are in piles at the bottom of lakes in Maine (from the old river drives) pretty good distance from shore. The top ones were able to be moved, but yes the bottom ones were in the mud with pretty good suction. We'll leave those for later.

If you have a boat for the ones in the lake you could use the come along on the ones stuck in the mud but it will need to be something bigger then a row boat. If you must use lift bags I would start with one at each end of the log on long lines so when the bags are inflated they are about 5' below the surface. This way when you break suction the log cannot shoot out of control to the surface, it will just come up 5' and stop. There may also be an opportunity to make some good money doing this if some of these logs are from old growth forests. There was a guy in Minnesota that did this by salvaging massive logs from trees that were thousands of years old when they were cut down. There are no more trees like that here outside of some giant redwoods in California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom