Lift Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curious to see what people are using for lift bags? I use the Carter bags for deco and stuff. Anyone using the closed style or the SMB (Surface Marker) style?

Thanks
Eric

Hi Eric,

i have 3 that i use depending on the dive:

1) a 'noname' open bag with about 100 pounds lift
2) an OMS "smb"
3) a Halcyon SUPER-LARGE 'sausage'

GM,

Nice. I am picking up a Halcyon Super Big SMB. Do you use your DR or BC inflator hose to inflate it? Have you seen the 9 Ft. OMS SMB? That is huge! Way to big in my opinion.

Eric

I have a Halcyon Big Diver Alert, it's the mid-sized one with 40Lbs of lift. Have yet to deploy it from depth though. Planning on doing that the first chance I get.

the Halcyon is inflated with my suit LP hose. this hose is
left in place even if wet suit diving so it can still be
used. i place the hose under my harness in either case so
it is not loose.

for open bottom i hold the bag open and over the exhaust
"t" on my primary. i am loathe to remove the second from
mouth unless ABSOLTULY necessary (sharing) and in any case
i do not want to risk a free-flow activated by pushing and
holding a purge button in cold water.

I use a small no-name obnoxiously orange lift bag that I use for open water deco stops with the help of my Manta reel. On the surface it's impossible to miss, and it doesn't fill up my pocket too much either.

I use 2 Dive Rite 50 lb bags. I threw out the nylon carry bag that the lift bags come with and had my wife make a dual pocket lift bag sleeve. It has an opening for one bag on the left and one on the right so I can't pull both of them out at the same time and it carries a lot cleaner than the supplied ones. I attach it to the bottom of the back plate with surgical tubing.

Brad

I also have found stowing the bags under the plate to be the best place for them. I made up a leash from shock cord and have two Bolt snaps on it. I connect one end to my D-ring on the crotch strap and the other end to the bag, that way I can pull the bag out and if I drop it, it will fall between my legs.

Eric

Hey,

I've had a chance to use a lot of different bags and I found that none of them are really flawless in design so it has kind of become a personal preference thing. I like the pillow-type sealed bags. they're a little higher maintenance but I prefer the stability they offer at the surface. Try 'em all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom