Lift Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Broussard98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone rig up a homemade lift bag? I expect the dump valve would be the most difficult feature to implement.

Use various sizes of inner tubes. Cheap and EZ to use.

Gary D.

The easiest dump valve would be to find an old BC that is junk, and take the valve from it.

Yep, rigged up a lift bag once upon a time made up of a government surplus duffel/duffle bag and a black plastic trash can liner.

Must have had about 750# of lift to it.

Needless to say, it had much more capacity that that which was needed.

the K

Yep, rigged up a lift bag once upon a time made up of a government surplus duffel/duffle bag and a black plastic trash can liner.

the K

I can't imagine. So, a black liner is insde of a duffel bag?

Thanks in advance,

Well, we took a duffel bag, put a black plastic garbage bag up inside it and do what we did what we had to do.

Dump valves are easy to come by from either old bc's or new from leisurepro or dive rite express. the material used to make "dry" bags would work perfect and all you would have to do is get some nylon webbing and sew everything up, but why would you need to when lift bags are usually safer and easier to get and are available in hundreds of sizes and shapes.

If a person really wanted to make lift bags all the materials necessary are available at walmart, you just have to know what your looking for. And knowing how to sew is a must.

I guess my thought is that some of us 'poor divers' can't justify spending $75-$100 for a lift bag that may get used a couple/few times. Of course anyone that would need a consistently reliable lift bag would want to go w/ a commercially available one, but for the one-off scenario or the simple challenge of creating something useful, a home-rig might do the trick.

Not to come off as a dick, but if you can afford to dive you can afford a liftbag.

If you're bringing up a weightbelt or anchor, no worries, use a milkjug or pair of jeans with the legs tied off or something.

But there are at least 4 accounts on SB, that I recall off-hand, of guys getting killed trying to lift objects underwater with insufficient rigging or redneck-engineered solutions. If you're lifting cars or outboard engines or watersoaked lumber it can get away from you fast, and it still has enough mass to hurt or kill you. Use tools that will keep you safe.

Be careful down there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom