Lift bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nessmiller

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be taking my 1st technical course in late January and one of the requirements is a 100-lb capacity lift bag. While I do not own one of these yet, I've looked at both the OMS and the Halcyon units. Does anyone recommend anything in particular? :confused:

I recommend Halcyon open-circuit (60 lb). 100 lb is overkill if you're using it for a marker.

Tom

why do they say 100 pound . I agree with wreckwriter that is a little big for a surface marker .
joens

I agree, 100 lbs seems enormous to me. However, this is what the shop list as part of their "basic technical package" that each student must have. Any idea why they are requiring something that large?

Thanks!

I asked my tech instructor about bags (because I knew I was getting one for xmas)...he said the Halcyon 60# semi-closed was fine...

It is my understanding that you will use the lift bag to "hang" on during deco stops. You might not be the only one "hanging" on it. It could also be used if diving wet for emergency lift should your BC/Wings fail. You might get a better answer if this is posted under the technical diving forum. Hope this helps.

bwollard once bubbled...
It is my understanding that you will use the lift bag to "hang" on during deco stops.

If that's the way you're taught to do it you should seek a second opinion.

Now don't get upset WreckWriter. I didn't mean to hang on it instead of using good bouyancy, but rather to use it for deco and if you or your buddy are having any problems it would be in your best interest for a bag with plenty of lift should it be needed. I also agree with cyklon_300 that the Halcyon 60lb bag is plenty. Our local tech instructor also uses a 100lb carter lift bag, but he doesn't have a problem if you want to talk to him about changing a little. It is all a matter of preferance. Anything from 60lbs to 100lbs is enough. I hope that I didn't confuse anyone. Sorry

bwollard once bubbled...
Now don't get upset WreckWriter. I didn't mean to hang on it instead of using good bouyancy, but rather to use it for deco and if you or your buddy are having any problems it would be in your best interest for a bag with plenty of lift should it be needed. I also agree with cyklon_300 that the Halcyon 60lb bag is plenty. Our local tech instructor also uses a 100lb carter lift bag, but he doesn't have a problem if you want to talk to him about changing a little. It is all a matter of preferance. Anything from 60lbs to 100lbs is enough. I hope that I didn't confuse anyone. Sorry

I'm not upset, it's your buoyancy :)

The problem with using a 100 is stowage of the bag. Unless you use the bungee loops below the tanks method it's awful bulky.

Tom

Doubles as a safety sausage and it has worked out well so far. Maybe the 100# bag is for all the steel stages they want you to carry :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom