Lifeguard Systems Ice Diving Search and Rescue/Recovery Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vablackwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few of us from Virginia are headed up for the Lifeguard Systems Ice Diving Search and Rescue/Recovery Program being held in Shokan, NY January 24-27, 2008.

Course Info: Ice Water Rescue Course

Just curious if anyone else is headed up there from the PSD forum.:D

A few of us from Virginia are headed up for the Lifeguard Systems Ice Diving Search and Rescue/Recovery Program being held in Shokan, NY January 24-27, 2008.

Course Info: Ice Water Rescue Course

Just curious if anyone else is headed up there from the PSD forum.:D

Looked at the course outline. Looks pretty indepth.

This is from the course outline:

how to properly use ice anchors, petons and equipment transport pulley systems

They mispelled ption. I was taught to NEVER use pitons on the ice? But instead to use vehicles, trees, boulders or ice screws. When you get to the part of placing your anchors, ask them about the pitons. I am kinda curious.....Frank

....find him anyway pull off his suit put him in a max. 5°Celsius bain and make tha

sofly warm to 40°celsius let the person in there for min 5 hours then warm bed

as else ..undercooling is total pain...(no garanty that that Aids at all)

E.L.7*

They mispelled ption.
Frank
They did???:wink:

LGS will teach you to use the equipment you already have the best way you can, so if you use pitons they'll teach you how to use them. They'll also recommend what they consider the best equipment (ice screws) and show you how to use that.
The choice is ultimately the team's.

If you go through their text, they point out that pitons have the potential to fracture the ice and that ice screws are better for anchors in their place. Screws don't displace or "push" the ice but will bore through and draw the ice from the hole up and out. Also, the friction the screw creates will also have the added potential of freezing the screw in making it even stronger
Is this where you're coming from, Frank?

They did???:wink:

LGS will teach you to use the equipment you already have the best way you can, so if you use pitons they'll teach you how to use them. They'll also recommend what they consider the best equipment (ice screws) and show you how to use that.
The choice is ultimately the team's.

If you go through their text, they point out that pitons have the potential to fracture the ice and that ice screws are better for anchors in their place. Screws don't displace or "push" the ice but will bore through and draw the ice from the hole up and out. Also, the friction the screw creates will also have the added potential of freezing the screw in making it even stronger
Is this where you're coming from, Frank?

Yes....

I wasnt even aware that PSD teams even used pitons. Not for Ice resuce or high angle resuces. I had been through a few Ice courses, one of them with a PSD team and it was stressed NOT to use pitons for anchors nor to use axes for making holes due to the strong possiablity of fracturing the ice and endanger the ground support personel. I am just curious that they even entertain the idea of using pitons and if there were any pros on using them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom