liberty rebreather scrubber time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh the diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so for people that dive the liberty. is there a set time once the scrubber is packed that you must use it in or replace the sorb? i know the say the standard can last 4-6 hours in use.

so for people that dive the liberty. is there a set time once the scrubber is packed that you must use it in or replace the sorb? i know the say the standard can last 4-6 hours in use.

that was worded poorly...

Once it's packed it can sit there for a long time and it doesn't care, there was a study done recently that proved that. Once it's used, it is good until it has processed the amount of CO2 that it can hold. How long that is depends on you, your work load, the temperature, etc.

What are you trying to ask? Go for a 2 hour dive then wait a week and go for another 2 hour dive? Not a problem. If it is what the "real" max duration is, it is too subjective.

I have to go with Tbone on this. The question is open to a little too much interpretation.
Sounds like you are confusing dive duration with storage duration. And a question like duration of a scrubber is not one that you want to be mixing up times with.

that was worded poorly...

Once it's packed it can sit there for a long time and it doesn't care, there was a study done recently that proved that. Once it's used, it is good until it has processed the amount of CO2 that it can hold. How long that is depends on you, your work load, the temperature, etc.

What are you trying to ask? Go for a 2 hour dive then wait a week and go for another 2 hour dive? Not a problem. If it is what the "real" max duration is, it is too subjective.

Sorry about that. You answered my question. I was wondering about storage time. I was taking to an instructor and he mentioned a a max time that you you have for the sorb to sit before it has to be replaced.

Sorry about that. You answered my question. I was wondering about storage time. I was taking to an instructor and he mentioned a a max time that you you have for the sorb to sit before it has to be replaced.
Sorb in a sealed container is good for years and has nothing to do with it being a liberty or not

If I pack a scrubber then a dive gets scrubbed, I vacuum seal it (I use my vacuum sealer a lot for food prep so it’s always available). The reality is just putting it in an airtight container is just as good. If you think about it there’s tons of environmental air in your sorb container once you open it so putting it into an airtight container is no worse. Once I use sorb, if I’m not doing a second dive with a day or two the sorb gets dumped.

Since this is a bit of a newbie question, I'll add a little bit more. It is common sense for most of us, but worth bringing up every once in a while...

Once sorb goes in the scrubber it only comes out to be trashed. Never repack sorb that has had any use at all.
That is if you dive 2 hours on a 6 hour scrubber, you have 4 hours left in that packing. Unpack the scrubber, all the sorb now has zero life left in it. Store the sorb packed in the scrubber or throw it out. No exceptions. NONE!

I don’t have an issue with storing lightly used sorb for reuse. For me sorb is cheap since I buy in bulk and I dive with my wife. If I choose to store her sorb and she takes a hit and dies I couldn’t live with myself. So I just choose not to reuse it since in the grand scheme of things peace of mind is worth more than the $10 of sorb I saved.

I don’t have an issue with storing lightly used sorb for reuse. For me sorb is cheap since I buy in bulk and I dive with my wife. If I choose to store her sorb and she takes a hit and dies I couldn’t live with myself. So I just choose not to reuse it since in the grand scheme of things peace of mind is worth more than the $10 of sorb I saved.

my general rule is no issue if saving for next day or next weekend. Anything after that and I dump and replace. Can't have you offing C over $10 of sorb!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom