Leyte .. or not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

A while since I looked in the PHP forum as my regular escapes from Taiwan to visit the PHP resorts came to an end last year as I moved to Oz .. where diving the GBR is good, though costs an arm and a leg, and though GBR has 'bigger' life, I still find the colour and diversity of PHP diving is way better than the GBR ... Anyway -

Just planning a trip to PHP for June. Been Boracay, PG, Dumagette, Malapascua, Moalboal, Cebu, Anilao (and a few others inbetween) but our last two trips we headed to Bohol, as we kind of liked the 'not too busy' place, and great diving - Am in half mind to return there again, though also been reading about Leyte (where I've never been). Has anyone recently dived, and stayed at Bohol & Leyte and fancy trying to convince me which to go to, just me and the missus on trip, both dive. Also a few pointers on dive centres in Leyte appreciated.

Cheers

I did Southern Leyte 3 times already and it certainly will fit your "color and diversity" criteria. Napantau, Max Climax, Peter's Bend, Limasawa Island, Padre Burgos Jetty night dive, just too name a few of the best dive sites there. And they do Whaleshark trips on the other side of Sogod Bay at San Ricardo during Nov - March.

We stayed at Sogod Bay Scuba Resort all those times and have no complaints. (A search here in SB would yield several trip reports).

Leyte(Sogod Bay), see for yourself and draw your own conclusion.
Someone just gave 10/10 for diving in there recently.
However, travelling from Cebu to Southern Leyte is tedious(sea and land). But if you are arriving at Manila first then fly to Tacloban and onward to your destination.
You won't be disappointed.
BTW, there is not much happening there ie. dive, eat and sleep from the same resort.

Hi there

Sorry to hijack this thread , but I am also contemplating Leyte for next January. I will be by myself though , am taking 4 weeks off unpaid after an Indonesia trip in December with my hubby. I loved Malapascua , but found Maolboal really really quiet.

Would you recommend Leyte for a single diver ?

Many thanks

Actually whale sharks in Southern Leyte are from November to May - lots there at the moment being seen every day. There are plenty of non-diving activities around Padre Burgos (dolphin watching, island hopping, sailing, waterfalls, caving, hikes to hill-top churches, deserted beaches, etc) but the dive resorts don't tend to advertise them much. Diving is excellent, especially Napantao and the night dive at the town pier. Weather from June to November is much better than most other places in the Philippines, many of which experience the rainy season then. Very quiet location with no nightlife, but a good range of accommodation options.

Southern Leyte as stated is great. My fave place in the ppines for variety and quality. Don't forget ghost town and little lembeh as great dive sites!!

Hi there

Sorry to hijack this thread , but I am also contemplating Leyte for next January. I will be by myself though , am taking 4 weeks off unpaid after an Indonesia trip in December with my hubby. I loved Malapascua , but found Maolboal really really quiet.

Would you recommend Leyte for a single diver ?

Many thanks

I'm going there in 10 days Hooray!
It's my first time there and I'll be travellling alone. as far as i learned, it might be a little tricky for solo diver to transfer from taclonban airport (if you fly in from manila)to the place where dive resorts are. Because the private pick takes 3.5 hours and the cost will be a little heavy cuz no one to share.
There are other public transportation options but considering i'm a single female traveller with VERY BIG luggage I might just splurge that 4000-ish peso for pick-up.
Other than this, I don't see any incovenience for single diver.

really looking forward to this trip!

BTW, Wantonmien,
i remember 2 years ago in this forum you gave me lots of useful tips for my first phillipine trip to moalboal. and this is going to be my 10th trip to wonderful phillipine!:D

torachen - time flies hey, 2 years ago !! .. you must have liked the PHP and 10th trip coming up, lucky lucky ! I've got hotel quotes from Leyte, and got the flight schedules, all I have to do is book now ! Look forward to hearing how your trip there is & hope you enjoy some great safe diving.

I'm going there in 10 days Hooray!
It's my first time there and I'll be travellling alone. as far as i learned, it might be a little tricky for solo diver to transfer from taclonban airport (if you fly in from manila)to the place where dive resorts are. Because the private pick takes 3.5 hours and the cost will be a little heavy cuz no one to share.
There are other public transportation options but considering i'm a single female traveller with VERY BIG luggage I might just splurge that 4000-ish peso for pick-up.
Other than this, I don't see any incovenience for single diver.

really looking forward to this trip!

BTW, Wantonmien,
i remember 2 years ago in this forum you gave me lots of useful tips for my first phillipine trip to moalboal. and this is going to be my 10th trip to wonderful phillipine!:D

Hi all,

A while since I looked in the PHP forum as my regular escapes from Taiwan to visit the PHP resorts came to an end last year as I moved to Oz .. where diving the GBR is good, though costs an arm and a leg, and though GBR has 'bigger' life, I still find the colour and diversity of PHP diving is way better than the GBR ... Anyway -

Just planning a trip to PHP for June. Been Boracay, PG, Dumagette, Malapascua, Moalboal, Cebu, Anilao (and a few others inbetween) but our last two trips we headed to Bohol, as we kind of liked the 'not too busy' place, and great diving - Am in half mind to return there again, though also been reading about Leyte (where I've never been). Has anyone recently dived, and stayed at Bohol & Leyte and fancy trying to convince me which to go to, just me and the missus on trip, both dive. Also a few pointers on dive centres in Leyte appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Wantonmien ,

Nice to hear that .. i'll be travelling /diving off Bohol and Leyte this 3rd wk of June ( 18-25 ) 2013 also . Diving with Seaquest divers from June 19-21 and tranferring to Southern Leyte via Ubay. On Leyte i'll be staying with Peter's Dive Resort until the 25th. Hoping weather is fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom