Let's all complain about the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Not diving related...but I need to rant.

I've had enough of this deep freeze.
  • I've not been to work all week due to being too cold, too much snow - my company sent us all an email telling us to bring our laptops home (hint hint - no need to come to work if it's too cold or too snowy)
  • GO trains have been cancelled or delayed all week long - doors are jammed, switches don't work, too much snow, too cold, too many people trying to get home before the storm arrives
  • the pipes in my washroom froze so toilet, shower, sink - no water
  • one of my cars decided it was too cold so stopped working - and it ain't even an old car
  • home security cameras - dead
  • yoga - cancelled; kickboxing - cancelled; *sigh*
I've lived here for decades and I cannot remember it being this bad. I do remember when our mayor called in the army for a snow storm but it wasn't as bad as this. I know people laugh at that incident but the roof on the recreational centre across the street from us collapsed under the weight of the snow so it was a big deal, at least to me. Thankfully no one was hurt.

I know there are people in the mid-west USA who are having it even worse than us and there are homeless people and animals who no doubt are suffering right now. I should stop complaining.

I agree and share your pain. But when my furnace died last evening with -27 I did feel grateful that I had a fireplace and enough resources to stay above freezing before it got fixed the ne$xt day.

But this freaking cold sucks!!

I discussed with my husband last night what we would do if our furnace died. Thank goodness we have parents in the area.

I feel your pain!

No USPS for a couple of days. Stuff I got from this board that should have got here Wednesday not coming until they start up again. I’m hoping for the weekend.

I can't complain. Mostly because my fingers are too frostbitten to type about it...

Dogbowl I was lucky and nervous. The furnace failure was pretty noisy (fan broke apart and took out some other items) so while it was still 70 in the house (-24 out) I immediately turned on the gas fireplace and called for emergency service. Once I knew it was out, I didn't really sleep the whole night. Put on the layers right away and spent the night heating water and cycling the oven and checking water pipes. Had I been asleep, I may not have made it from 10pm to about 8pm the next evening before the temp made it back to 55. Could have been a lot worse which is why I felt lucky despite my misfortune. I didn't have a 'plan' but learned what worked pretty quickly ( heating with hot water in the tubs and pots of water on the stove worked pretty well). Hope it never happens to anyone but better than the stories of homeless and/or poor frozen to death.

May be time to become a permanent snowbird...

@They call me Tater , I also thought you were lucky. I remember when our furnace broke down years ago, no one was available to come fix it until several days later. But I think under the current temperatures, it's a real serious emergency, especially for those who have nowhere else to go.

Good luck with the busted stuff, etc. I feel for you in that these are extreme conditions that you don't expect in T.O. or even Wisconsin. Akin to some serious snow in Alabama causing catastrophic conditions and accidents. Or closing FL panhandle highways because they don't have any salt--plenty of sand but no way to move it. There is cold then there is cold. A locale can't be prepared for freak weather that may come once a decade. Minus 24F low and +55F high not so bad if you're prepared with car block heaters, wood stoves and several cords of wood, heat traces on certain pipes, etc. I lived in Thompson, Manitoba for 23 years where the average daytime temp. Dec.-Feb. (and often March) was maybe -15F (-25C) with average nighttime lows of -22F (-30C) and occasional stretches of -40 (F + C are the same, that is where they "cross over". You would get 2-3 week stretches where temps. did not rise about -30C (-22F). These are temperatures WITHOUT wind chill, which many like to use today. Coldest I saw was in 1981-- minus 48C (-54F). That was the one time my car didn't start (until noon).
A decent wind chill could lower it to maybe -80. Radio: "Exposed skin freezes in 30 seconds".
I'm a wimp now after 14 years in a "normal" climate. I ever chill diving wet, and not only in mid winter.

Back
Top Bottom