Lessons Learned Regarding the USCG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I don't want to be unfair, I could be wrong.

In the absence of more information, I have concluded that the USCG has a big public relations problem.

I have been boating here six years and heard of many accidents involving the USCG. My perception is that they do not think of themselves in terms of helping the local citizens and how they can assist. I think they seem consumed with their regulations and paper work requirements. Since I am not a commercial captain I will avoid calling them until the crisis is over, unless I think of a specific action I need from them. (like answering the IPERB, since they are the only ones)

I am not out to bash the Coast Guard. I know they have fine people, I am friends with a few. And as they keep reminding us "they are managing an entire Pacific ocean".

I had a long conversation today with a high up in the Fire Department about a specific accident. I don't expect the USCG here in Hawaii to recognize the community relations problem they have...either real or percieved which is unfortunate and sad.

I will remain open for any signs of change or circumstances that display epic heroism or even altruistic intent consistent with the movies or any real life scenarios they are involved in.

For any emergencies up to three miles out, I will stick with the Fire Department and they will call the Coast Guard if they deem that they have something to bring to the table, in terms of resources.

My unhappiness with their communications with me recently when my child was on a boat with where a tragic death took place has sparked this opinion, but it is nothing new really. They kept me in the dark for ten hours even though parts of the their conversation were picked up all over via VHF radio. Seems unacceptable to me, but they have a really important reasons for everything they do...just none of it ever seems to help me or people I know.

Living in a fishing village we can sometimes see things differently.I live on the east end of Long Island NY ,Montauk is a commercial and also a private fishing mecca.The coast guard here are the ones we look to when something goes wrong I have seen them go out in near hurricaine conditions because some boater was too stupid to check a weather forecast .I have personally witnessed on two occasions them sending aircraft out to assist a boat in distress.One was a helicopter to a boat that had last power about 50 miles offshore,they stayed on station till a rescue craft reached them.Another time a friend of mine had an engine inlet hose burts and almost sink him 70 miles offshore,they sent a jet to loiter till he had the problem contained.I have heard of many many many times they have rendered this and other assists to people.Maybe coming from an area where a large portion of the people not only make their living from the sea but spend so much time on the water has something to do with how I feel about them.I have the utmost respect for what they do and how they put themselves in harms way to keep others safe.

I can see that. Wish I could knew of some stories like that around Hawaii. maybe somebody will post some?

Perhaps the lesson is don't call them if the Fire Department is an option? (closer to shore) Although, en route to another island, I could not get an answer for a radio check.

Maybe coming from an area where a large portion of the people not only make their living from the sea but spend so much time on the water has something to do with how I feel about them

I know people who make a living in the ocean, here. Trust me, I am not going out of my way to pick on them. My observations are shared by most people I talk to here. Other agencies that deal with them, as well.

One problem, is that here they often insist on searching for people where they entered the water even in a ripping current in a given direction. They are often inexperienced in our waters and insist on following pointless protoccols.

Also, they don't have a reputation for working well with others, it seems. Here, that is.

The consensus is that they need some community based training and need to ask themselves how they can help vs what paper work do they need. maybe drug testing the crew could be done after the more important things are handled?

EastEndDiver:
Living in a fishing village we can sometimes see things differently.I live on the east end of Long Island NY ,Montauk is a commercial and also a private fishing mecca.The coast guard here are the ones we look to when something goes wrong I have seen them go out in near hurricaine conditions because some boater was too stupid to check a weather forecast .I have personally witnessed on two occasions them sending aircraft out to assist a boat in distress.One was a helicopter to a boat that had last power about 50 miles offshore,they stayed on station till a rescue craft reached them.Another time a friend of mine had an engine inlet hose burts and almost sink him 70 miles offshore,they sent a jet to loiter till he had the problem contained.I have heard of many many many times they have rendered this and other assists to people.Maybe coming from an area where a large portion of the people not only make their living from the sea but spend so much time on the water has something to do with how I feel about them.I have the utmost respect for what they do and how they put themselves in harms way to keep others safe.

EastEnddiver: I agree. Our local USCG here in the San Francisco bay area does a lot of dangerous recovery, search and rescue, distressed boaters, etc. They are always good to go.

Catherine I understand where you are coming from.It might be that they are not trained properly for the area they are working in.Where I am they have many assets available to them ,helo's jets small and large boats ,and they also rely on input from locals which might be their biggest asset.They are not shy about asking boaters who are close to a situation to lend a hand.Maybe it is just the nature of this area.

I lived there for years. Things tend to move pretty slow. Thank god I never needed the police, if they were eatin plate luch forget it brah (kidding hehe). Then again, we can only expect to get the amount of public services we are willing to pay taxes for...

they have many assets available to them ,helo's jets small and large boats

Shouldn't they have similiar resources everywhere? They are national, after all.

So...it appears we have a problem that is regional, why would that be? Don't they stay somewhere and then get transferred?

Then again, we can only expect to get the amount of public services we are willing to pay taxes for...

The Fire Department is right below my house and I overlook the bay. I see them all over the place. Searching for people at night, in boats heli's.
It could be the Coast Guard relies on them and just does the regulatory stuff. If that's the case, then the boating public needs to know not to call them until they are ready to do the reports. In the middle of an accident is not a good time. People who heard the transmissions report that they were keeping the crew distracted with orders for reports from the onset. I realize I am taking this at face value. If you are out of range of the Fire department, well---then they are all you have.

They were not helpful to me while I tried to understand what had happened out there and who was involved. I was amiss for not calling the Fire Department, but I was unsure where they were.

The purpose of my post is to say that they have a public relations problem, here at least. I'll even go out on a limb and say that it is a big one. Does this matter? Maybe it doesn't.

Sounds to me like this should be in the Whine & Cheese forum.

I have had dealings with the USCG on the Great Lakes as a commercial Captain and on the Lakes and along the east coast as a private citizen.
All of the Officers and men I have met ALWAYS acted in a professional manner and went out of their way to help in any type of emergency.
Sometimes seeing that families get all the information they want is a lot less important to them than dealing with the actual crisis.
I have no knowledge of operations in Hawaii, so it is possible they have a problem there.

Sounds like you had a difficult learning experience there, sorry.
I know the lifeguard systems on the North Shore are world-class.
Hope you can work as some type of catalyst to improve th CG there.
Best of luck.

Catherine the coast guard is a branch of the military ( during war time which I think this is) We all know how the military works in strange ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom