Lesson Learned~!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silt Life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Lost some weight recently and moved back to my other(slightly smaller) BCD, so I did a pool session to work out adjustments today after moving accessories to the other BC.
I have a back-mounted pony with the reg on a necklace and I noticed I had the hose routed over my shoulder and its more streamlined under the arm.
Not thinking, I spit out my primary and put my arm through to reorient the hose. The hose caught briefly on my elbow, stretched the necklace bungee and the reg came back and popped me right in kisser!
Glad it was just a pool dive, but I don't think I'll be trying that again soon!

You can learn a whole lot in a pool. Excellent

While it is more streamlined to route short hose under your arm, you will need some elbow at your 2nd stage, to avoid hose pulling it down.

While it is more streamlined to route short hose under your arm, you will need some elbow at your 2nd stage, to avoid hose pulling it down.
Guess I should have clarified. My pony mounts on right side so I have four hoses on that side. My primary, my octo( haven't removed since I dive with others a lot), the reg from the pony, which is on a bungee becklace, and a short hosed spg for pony that clips on right hip.
My primary goes over the shoulder.

I skip the octopus and the pony spg hose.

And I also route the pony second stage under my arm. I configure the first stage on the pony so the single hose points straight down and my button spg gage points straight up. I use a normal octopus length hose on the pony (whatever length that is?), keeps the hose routing neat and close to my body.

Guess I should have clarified. My pony mounts on right side so I have four hoses on that side. My primary, my octo( haven't removed since I dive with others a lot), the reg from the pony, which is on a bungee becklace, and a short hosed spg for pony that clips on right hip.
My primary goes over the shoulder.
I understand that, what I am talking about that for any 2nd stage you route under your arm you will need an ellbow to change direction of that hose. If you route under arm and connect hose to 2nd stage, hose will try to keep its line and rotate your reg in your mouth

I understand that, what I am talking about that for any 2nd stage you route under your arm you will need an ellbow to change direction of that hose. If you route under arm and connect hose to 2nd stage, hose will try to keep its line and rotate your reg in your mouth

That's not true for me. I've done quite a few dives with the hose run under the arm and no elbow or swivel.

Back
Top Bottom