Lesson learned: Don't be cheap with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've been diving for two and a half years in Puget Sound. When I started, I did some research, and bought an undergarment I thought would work for me. I was cold. I added a vest. I was cold. I put polarfleece under the whole mess, and polypro, and I was cold. I bought a heated vest and a compressed neoprene drysuit, and I wasn't as cold.

I didn't want to replace the undergarment, because what I would move up to was SO expensive, and because of my size, I couldn't find anyone from whom to borrow one in order to find out whether it would be enough of a difference to merit the cost. So I kept piece-mealing the problems, until a friend (who was using the same undergarment I was, with vest) bought himself a DUI 400g jumpsuit and began to crow about it. AND he told me about the page on DUI's website where you can buy the seconds and demo models.

I went and looked, and there was a demo jumpsuit for $100. I wasn't willing to buy a new one, but I was willing to gamble $100 on the possibility that I would be significantly warmer. So I ordered it.

I did my first dive in it today. I was in the water for EIGHTY MINUTES, a good portion of it swimming very slowly, and I was NEVER cold. I had a dryglove leak and my hand was sopping wet (and it was cold) but that was the only part of me that was cold at all. Further, I got out of the water and stood by my car in the 42 degree breeze, with no hat on, and I didn't shiver. This is unprecedented.

I had only a thin polypro shirt and a pair of leggings on under the suit. I didn't increase my weight, and although I didn't get a chance to do the formal weight check I had planned, the behavior of my setup indicated that I was very close to correct. So I didn't pay a huge price in extra weight to get this additional warmth.

I wish I had done this two years ago.

Every time I've broken down and spent the money to upgrade my gear, I've found out it was worth doing. You'd think I'd learn :)

Eighty minutes!! If only you had those sooner. :wink: I tried the 400G at a DUI demo and they were as toasty as everyone says. I was warm underwater- freshwater, below the thermocline.

Congrats on finding an undergarment that works for you. Now you might have to watch your SPG. :wink:

Glad to hear it Lynne. I might have to take a similar leap as well.

Now you tell me. :wink:

Yes, as you know I'm on the same quest. I am more than willing to pay the price and do it right this time. Good on you for getting that solution for $100.00!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom