Less bulky dry suit boot options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My drysuit has neoprene socks. I have the Hollis rock boots, but I have two issues with them. They're bulky, which makes fitting fins an issue. Plus, my suit socks have a textured reinforcement covering the entire sole (and up the sides a bit), which makes getting the Hollis boots on a struggle. They're too small for the newish Dive Rite XT fins I have (which are getting sold since they don't really fit and I struggle mightily getting them on).

Drysuit Rock Boot-10 - Dive Right in Scuba

I want boots that are less bulky and more streamlined. Chuck Taylors? I need to figure out boots before I get new fins (I need something that's easier on my knees).

And what might make it easier to get my suit socks more easily into whatever boots I use - diluted baby shampoo?

I use wetsuit booties over my drysuit neoprene socks.

I've had both attached boots, and bi-lam / tri-lam socks (my preference). Neoprene socks with soles sounds like the worst of the options.

Try chucks and neoprene boots.

Also, have you tried the plastic shopping bag to help you slip your feet into the boots?

I can't use chucks because they aren't wide enough. If you are going that route, the Poseidon OneShoe is a bit better version for diving IMO because it's neoprene instead of canvas and isn't all that expensive compared to legit Chuck Taylors. For the knockoff wally world ones, I'd still go with the ultra cheapies. Should have no problem getting them into fin pockets. I bought a pair, but had to return them because they weren't wide enough *13 4E feet*

Wetsuit boots are something that is very common cave country for overboots. Helps keep everything snug around our feet, but we are also not diving in super cold water, and are trying to keep air out of our feet. May or may not work for you, but it's worth a try. This is my only option for overboots due to the width of my feet, and I use NRS booties since I couldn't find a scuba bootie that was wide enough

I don't want bigger fins because I'm switching to Atomic splits. I had the opportunity to try them and they felt so much better on my tweaky knees. I know a couple of people with bad knees who do much better with the splits. I want a girly color and the girly color doesn't come in extra large! :wink:The Dive Rite XTs in XL are too big. For some odd reason, when I do laps in the XTs in the pool, they don't bother my knees much, but since they don't fit my rock boots well, diving dry with them is meh.

Last edited:
Chucks work. For me me rock boots limited ankle mobility too much, i couldn't do a frog or especially a modified frog kick with them. But other than that I loved the Evo 3s I had.

If you're not a fan of the rock boot style, definitely snag a pair of Chuck's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom