Lens Reflection using wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thewigster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have an ikelite housing and a canon s100. Not long started using a inon wide angle lens UWL-H100 28M67 (type 1)

Since using this lens, i am starting to see the lens reflection in most pictures (example below). Macro lens or no add on lens is fine (just this wide angle lens)

019.jpg

Even using the inon dome i can still see the reflection (seems to always be the top right corner).

I have taped the inside with even more insulation tape but to no avail.

1) Is the electrical insulation tape causing the reflection?
2) Is the internal flash letting in some light between the camera lens into the port hole?
3) Tried different strobe positions (ie way back) so i dont think its strobe positions either (2 x sea and sea YS-01)
4) Tried zooming in but same issue still exists

Any help would be fab

Dave

After a bit of trial and error, and more masking inside - still nothing worked.

So rather than try and stop what i think is internal flash bleeding out, i used some electrical tape on the front of the lens which doesnt zoom out but rotates (as it is a silver camera). Example below, left with tape and right without. Several test photos later and the images are now fine!!!!

Need to do alot more testing but hopefully this has resolved it. Perhaps black camera's dont have this issue.

IMAG0259.jpg

I use Krylon Ultra Flat black. I spray it into a plastic cup and then using a small paint brush careful paint out the complete front lens barrel and beauty rings.

Make sure no light from the internal strobe leaks through.

Keep your external flashes well to the side and BEHIND the lens.

Keep the sun behind you if at all possible (it is what it is sometimes).

N

I have the same problem and am really happy that you posed this question...

Even without using a flash i have this problem with the wide angle lens (shooted a lot of pictures without strobes in Iceland). Is there no way to prevent this reflection? I love to shoot against the sun to show the rays of the sun behind the corals. With my normal lens 12-50mm this doesn't happen, just with the wide angle lens. I wanted to buy a wide angle lens (borrowed one for my last trip) but this somehow restrained me from doing it.

Example here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129373933@N02/21113858390/in/album-72157658024211489/ (if you zoom in you can even read Olympus, which really annoys me).

I would be so happy if somebody could tell me how i have to shoot such pictures without reflection..

(Maybe this question is in the wrong sub-forum?)

Thanks a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom