Lens protection question number 2...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, this time, i have a question about a bigger lens - what about a wide angle lens? I've used that 67 uv filter as lens protection on the pt015 housing and it works marvelously - except when you want to take shots out of water after it was in water, it holds the drops better than the port itself. I missed a lot of good shots because of that once and the lcd didnt really show up the flaws. Oh well.

But, with the wide angle lens not haveing any threads, how might one protect that? Also, for times when your're not shooting - what kind of protector might you put it in - i'm thinking boat times, handing down from boat times, handing up to boat and generally whenever you're not using the camera and its with you underwater or above land? It comes with a protector but its not the kind that would stay on i think.

thanks

steve

I keep my WA lens in the Digital Lens Dock when I'm in the water and I'm not using it. I feel like it's as well protected as possible.

I'm more concerned about all lenses in camera buckets so I avoid using them whenever possible.

How easy is that to use underwater? (i would think screwing and unscrewing the lens might be a bit of a challenge - its not always easy to align the threads on land so underwater would be harder?)

Even in that though - shouldnt there be some sort of covering for it? Its a lot of exposed glass...

steve

Because the lenses have such fine threads, the DLD was designed to just clamp onto the lens. The is a thumbscrew that loosens and tightens with just a turn. It gently grabs the barrel of the lens and hold it securely.

As for the lens glass itself, I know of nothing to use to protect it that doesn't have to be put on and taken off and kept up with, such as a cap.

I just bought the Inon UCL-165 and wide angle lens - the UCL didn't come with anything to protect it, the WAL did. Both ends have a plastic/rubber boot, which I plan on carrying with me on my dives. Before I hand my camera up I'm going to cover the lens, because I KNOW how rough people are with gear.....

Back
Top Bottom