Lens Leash for Macro Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens leash on a macro lens? I have not bought it, yet. I am thinking either a Dyron +7 67mm or a ReefNet Sub See +5. I was holding off until I could figure out how to leash it to my Nauticam tray. Any thoughts?

I saw the link to the DIY with the tie-wrap and heat shrink tubing. I just didn't see how that was going to work on a macro lens.

I have the zip-tie and shrink tubing arrangement for my Inon UFL165AD but haven't worried about leashing my macro UFC165AD as it is pretty compact and I think the chance of it coming adrift is slim. I use an Inon double lens caddy on the strobe arm when swapping between lenses

I have seen the zip-tie with the heat shrink tubing - still need to build that. I am planning to have a caddy on my strobe arm for when I am not using it - I don't want the lens to dangle and hit the reef. I have seen someone post losing a w/a lens from a caddy while on the surface waiting for the boat, and didn't want to risk that happening with the macro lens. Thoughts?

We noticed there are little screws on the macro lens. We are wondering if we remove one of the screws, drill a small hole from the outside of the lens into the screw hole, thread fishing line in, and then put the screw back in to hold it in place that should be enough to secure the lens if it comes off. Anyone tried this? If we do go this route, we will post pictures.

We noticed there are little screws on the macro lens. We are wondering if we remove one of the screws, drill a small hole from the outside of the lens into the screw hole, thread fishing line in, and then put the screw back in to hold it in place that should be enough to secure the lens if it comes off. Anyone tried this? If we do go this route, we will post pictures.

I would not do that. And if I understand this is for the RX100 I would get an Inon AD mount lens and an AD lens caddy. The quality is similar to Dyron and they are lighter.
Like that you can use the caddy to also park the wide angle or fisheye.

If the issue is that you don't have arms to attach the caddy look at my blog for some ideas on how to create a space to park your lenses

Interceptor121 Underwater Video | Tip & Tricks for Digital Compact Cameras Users

You can see both my RX100 and LX7 rigs with a bespoke mount for a lens caddy

We are going to have a bayonet mount on the arm to store when we are not using it. We like to treat our gear similar to when we kayak - if it is not strapped down, then be okay with losing it. We don't want our macro lens to add to the ocean litter, if possible. We will probably take a look at it this weekend and then go from there.

The macro lens is really tiny but it is only 73 grams in water in the AD mount version. Instead if you go for M67 thread the lenses are heavier and may drop more easily whilst you screw and unscrew. I am not sure there is actually space to put a leash on it that would not be so weak to break anyway. Definitely I would not touch the screws as those are sealed multi element plano convex lenses and you do not want to weaken the structure

I have been using the subsee flip adaptor with my+5 and +10 on two different cameras and love using it. Matter of fact, I'm getting ready to have one made for my new nauticam housing for my g15.

Like mjh said, once you use a flip adaptor you're sold on them.

Wanted to let everyone know what we ended up doing - we ended up going to the fabric store and picking up some nylon 1/8" ribbon. For the UWL-105AD lens, we used the channel already on the lens and attached on there. For the UFL-165AD and UCL-165AD, we took out one of the screws, drilled a 1/16" hole on the outside near the head, screwed the screw the thread through the ribbon, and had the end of the ribbon come out of the hole we drilled. We can still stack the macro lenses together.

Back
Top Bottom