Lens + diopters calculator . Beta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Based on optics formulas I have tried to create a handy calculator to estimate new magnification when diopters are attached in front of lens.
This is a beta version in excel. I would appreciate your inputs both technically as in language (english is not my native language).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Lens + diopters calculator 2.xlsx
    14.7 KB · Views: 132
I have "improved' first Beta version. This new one eliminates some useless (or less comprehensible) information, treats working distance in a way that seems more clear to me, accepts up to 3 stacked diopters (just in case anyone would like to do it) and changes aspect/presentation.
I am open to correction/ suggestions. Once "perfected" I would try to create an APP for celullar phones.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

regards

Attachments

• Lens + diopters calculator 3.xlsx
    14.9 KB · Views: 108
I get an error when I try to open your spreadsheet:
upload_2019-1-7_14-5-39.png

Excel 2019 here.

It is made in Excel 2013 but that would no be a problem, I think.
I can download it and open it. I edited the post and upload a version with possible corrections. Try again.
regards

This is version Beta 3.
Some precisions added

Attachments

• Lens + diopters calculator 3.xlsx
    14.8 KB · Views: 74
No, I get the same error. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Did you click YES when Excel prompted? Maybe it could be functional with the content excel can recover. I suspect it has to be with "cells protection", but it would not affect the use of the calculator.

It runs on my computer but it is not clear that it works correctly at all. For your focal length is it in FF equivalents (you need to add an input for sensor size I think), I get results that make no sense. For the olympus 60 macro lens you calculate a 0.92 magnification with a +10 diopter which is clearly incorrect.
Cheers
BVA

Bvanant,
Thanks for your remarks. You are right that calculations are based in FF. I should include an input for sensor size or crop factor. I will think about the best / easier way to include it

For Macro lens is a different thing or I think it is. I had put a note in earlier versions of the calculator that it would not work for macro lens. I took it away later car I was not so sure, but your remark makes me rethink the reason. Optically, Focal Lenght of a lens will have a particular angle of view. Angle of view at MFD will determine magnification, which at the same time will be larger on a crop sensor as part of the image (light) will not hit the sensor and the ratio Object size : image size will be different than in a FF sensor.
But lens assemblies are fabricated differently and lens placed differently in the barrel, in cases emulating the use of a extension tube and then producing a higher magnification for the same focal lenght.
Macro lenses are fabricated and assembled in a way allowing a closer MFD and this distorts the results in the calculation.
For macro lens the more correct approach to calculate new magnification with diopters attached would be using native magnification (as per manufacturers specification), not MFD. And in this case I am prone to think that crop factor will have no incidence but I am not quite sure how lens' manufacturers indicate the native magnification in the case of APS-C especific lens.
I do not exclude to use this sort of approach.
Using this more appropiate method for macro lens, your 60mm macro + 10 diopter filter will result in 2.2X
----
For better understanding of the calculator, for those interested in perfect it, like you, I detail below the concepts / formulas used in the calculator.

1) Diopters changes the focusing distance of lens when set to infinity focus. The focus distance of a diopter = 1000mm by diopter strength/ power. For example, my Inon +6 diopter filter has a focus distance of 165 mm (rounded) result of 1000/6.
Note: A lens set at infinity focus will focus at the the diopter's focus length, no matter what is the FD of the lens to which is attached.

2) the MFD of a lens + diopters combination is dependant of the adition of diopter of the lens (to be calculated) plus diopter(s) attached.

3) Diopter power of a lens = 1000 divided by MFD of the lens in mm. For example, Sony FE 85mm F1.8 has a MFD of 800 mm, so its diopter power is 1000/800 = +1.25

4) New MFD = 1000 divided by total diopters (lens' s + diopters). In the case of this Sony lens + Inon +6 diopter total diopter = +7.25. So new MFD = 1000 / 7.25 = 138 mm

5) New magnification of the lens + diopter filter(s) is the result of the total diopter of lens plus diopter filter(s) multiplied by the focal length of the lens in meters. In this example: 7.25 * 0.085 = 0.62x

6) For Working range I took the new MFD as the closest point and the Focal lenght of the diopter attached as the farthest since diopter filters will not focus beyond its focal lenght.

Notes:
a) results will be always estimations as lens are usually manufactured differently.
b) I am not a "scientist" just an amateur and mostly autodidact photograher, so erreurs may exist.

Welcome everybody to perfect this calculator if considered handy and useful.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom