Lemon shark dives: Jupiter or West Palm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SomeGuy509

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am going down to Florida in a week for work and hoping to squeeze some diving in. Hoping to see some Lemon Sharks as I hear this is the time of year for it.

I was thinking of going out with either Jupiter dive center who I have used many time or Pura Vida which I have also been out with on one of there Blue Herron Bridge dives.

I am staying on Singer Island so maybe that's a vote for Pura Vida.

What I am wondering is if there is a big difference in terms of activity or what you can expect to see diving out of the two locations this time of year? Not trying to pit one operation against the other, more interested if there is likely to be a significant difference in the dives.

Thanks all!

I'm fond of the dive at Lemon Drop with JDC. Have had great dives there the last 2 seasons. Will be doing it again on Friday as part of the 3 tanker, assuming the sea condition gods cooperate. I hear they had about 15 Lemons on the dive this morning. Sorry, I've not done a Lemon Shark dive with Pura Vida

I like JDC too. It's one of my favorite operators.

Some of the WPB operators head north out the inlet to get to Juno when Lemons migrate (or at least they did when I lived there a few years ago).... its very possible Pura Vida will go to similar sites as JDC. You can call and find out

Tritto JDC,,,,but there are many "Different" types of lemon shark dives offered by different operators on different days.. And if you search youtube you can easily see both ends of the interaction spectrum. Lemons gather at 'known' spots and beyond that its a chance encounter. The difference between the dives is do you want to be 12 inches from a lemon or do you want to be 12 feet, cause both are offered. Watch the videos, make your choice and then like @sportxlh said,,,call and find out if your day is a dedicated Lemon Shark day.

Awesome guys! I'll give PVD a call and see what they are doing.

12in is probably a bit too close for my comfort. Maybe keep it to at least 1 body length :)

Awesome guys! I'll give PVD a call and see what they are doing.

12in is probably a bit too close for my comfort. Maybe keep it to at least 1 body length :)
12 inches is too far, you get bumped at Lemon Drop. I've experienced nothing, in the slightest, aggressive. Just very many sharks swimming around with a bunch of divers.

Are lemons good for a first time shark dive? I’ve been around sharks on dives plenty but not specifically a shark dive

Only you know the answer, you heard what it may be like.
Well not really. I wasn’t asking because of a fear factor. I was asking more for advice for a new shark diver. Since I don’t fully know what to expect with the different types of sharks I’m asking the question to people who have done them. Are lemons good to start with over tigers, hammers, bulls etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom