Lembeh, NEX 5 and subsee +10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shots! I just purchased a used NEX7 rig on eBay to replace my NA-600D T3i set-up because I felt like a sherpa dragging the stuff around Asia. The Canon 100mm macro and Tokina 10-17 set-up took up 80% of my luggage space and was a nightmare when it came to carry-on limitations on most Asian airlines. The system performed great, but I really missed the focal lengths in-between, even though I used a Kenko 1.4 on the Tokina for WAM. I'm hoping to use the Sony 18-55 with the N 36137 semi-dome port & 67mm mount for the Subsee +10 and my FIT +5 thinking I might be able to stack the Subsee +10 like you did with the UCL-165 to compensate for the loss of my Canon 100mm macro. Unfortunately, it didn't work all that well compared to the diver using a 60 macro set-up :-( I also passed up a low priced 30mm macro and port because I had read that it wasn't good for SM because of the distances, etc. I basically want the NEX7 for it's higher resolution to print large macro abstractions and maybe even do some 3D video work with the same subject matter. .The system came with a Sony 16mm pancake, Sony converters and 4.33 dome, which I thought I would sell to cut costs, but might keep for the video work. They most certainly be a lot lighter than the Tokina 10-17 and ZEN DP-100 glass dome.

The 18-55 set-up with the semi-dome and diopters seem like a good general purpose set-up to cover all the mid-range focal ranges I missed with my Canon rig. I haven't sold the NA-600D yet, so I'm torn after reading your post between which one to keep for the reasons you've stated. As an alternative, I've considered jettisoning the 100mm macro and Tokina 10-17 and ports, along with the WAM Kenko set-up and replacing them with the Canon 60mm macro and Canon 18-55 kit lens, both which use the same port. Either will shoot macro, but the 60 will obviously perform much better. Too bad the C60 doesn't work with a TC, or I'd keep the Kenko set-up should I stay with the NA-600D.

Like many, I keep crossing my fingers for a longer E-mount macro, but it doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon coming. Looking forward the NA-NEX7 rig arriving to see how much more compact it is than the NA-600D and doing some comparing on macro capability, even though I'm sure I'll be disappointed after reading your post. I'll keep trying to create a HR compact system. At least I started by replacing one of my Z-240's with the much smaller S-2000 and so I could also detach the flash and do some creative back-lighting with Ultralight's quick disconnect handles.

Thanks so much for the info and great shots, they're exactly what I was looking for. Decisions, decisions....keep the NA-600D, the NEX7 or maybe even reconsider the RX100 with Inon wet lens options, like the UWL-H100 28M67 and UFL-M150 ZM80 macro fisheye? I've been told the RX100 won't even come close to comparison to the NEX7? Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom