lembeh hills resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone recently stayed in lembeh hills,a new flash looking resort.? Its looks very nice and when comparing prices, you get what looks like a luxurious stay, higher end prices but still cheaper than some of the other more expensive places available there, a few less dives in the packages though but not by much. The packages do look very appealing.

I'm torn whether to stay at a less upscale resort and have a more intimate stay, more dives, but perhaps with less facilities to occupy myself outside of diving( i may be by myself), or spend a bit more to have a more luxurious stay (ie tv in room, pool etc..)?? Can anyone recommned lembeh hills?

Also does it matter if you stay on Sulawesi mainland to dive lembeh or do you get access to better sites and better guides if you stay on the island itself? I would be keen to do some dives at bunaken so access is easier from mainland but dotn want to miss out on the best of lembeh.

Any info appreciated

We have stayed at Black Sand for the past two years. It is a small resort with 6 bungalows which are of a very high standard.It is the next resort to Lembeh Hills. Excellent diving. Fast dive boats, groups of no more than 4 divers. Very experienced local guides who know where to find all the critters. So good we are going back next year! The resort is owned and managed by Bruce and Fung Moore who are excellent hosts.

I looked at staying there last year and briefly looked at it this year. The resort looks nice but the dive guides....I could not get much information about. I've stayed at Lembeh Resort for my last three trips and for my upcoming one....Their dive guides/operation is excellent and many were trained by Larry Smith....my 2psi!

With all due respect to the late Larry Smith, who did indeed did an incredible good job. But he was working here already more than 10 years ago. In the meantime so many local guides have been building up their own expertise. Many critters and dive sites were even not known of in the days of Larry. Guides such as Atu, Henky and Suleiman from Black Sand made at least 3000 dives each in Lembeh Strait. They know their stuff and they know how to find it. The same is true for most of the guides of the better dive resorts here. Surely for our guides ;-))

We have found the dive guides at Black sand to be excellent. Henkie, Suleiman and Atu all 'have the eyes'.Bruce has a huge wealth of knowledge which he is keen to share with his guests. He also writes for many dive publications.

It doesn't matter which side you stay on, the straits is quite narrow & lots of the sites are actually on the mainland...
There was a report which said that some of the facilities at Lembeh Hills (eg deck around the pool) was not ready (& that guest was a tad disappointed with the food). Please check with the resort before booking.

I just returned from a stay at Black Sand Retreat and have to echo the comments already made. Additionally, one look at the larger, crowded, and older boats operated by Lembeh Hills while sitting in one of Black Sand's plastic hulled special designed boats with 4 divers max (plus one of the great guides), helped convince me I made the right choice between the two resorts. A lesser known fact is that Lembeh Hills is built around a local cemetery with active graves which might spook a few quests. I'm heading back to Black Sand in January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom