Lembeh critters - Sony NEX-7 in Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfcheah

New
Reaction score
1st post here. Have been lurking around. Went to Lembeh last week with Sony NEX-7 in Nauticam housing, 18-55mm kit lens, FIT +5 & +8 close up lens combo, and 2x Z-240. No leaking/flooding at all, but the zoom knob and the back wheel on the housing refused to function quite often. Great housing other wise. The rig is heavy even underwater. Would need to look at float arms replacing standard arms.

Stayed with NAD Lembeh Resort. Guides are great in finding all the tiny stuff (Aso, Tony). Food can be better though. Resort is well maintained; 3 dive boats each can take 8 or so divers. Not the fastest boats but dive sites are just minutes away so no issue.

More photos at Beneath the Lembeh Strait, May 2012 - better quality photos | Facebook

DSC02192_web.jpgDSC02339_web.jpgDSC02422_web.jpg

Great photos, did you use the evf a lot? If you did, did you have any issues with it?
The back wheel on your housing probably has a lot of sand stuck in it (I know mine did when I was there in april). Let the housing soak in water for a few hours and the sand will loosen up and come out. I dont think the design of the wheel is the best. As for problems with with the zoom gear it may be possible the that the lens gear slipped that has happened to me a number of times. I wish nauticam had inon's magnetic ring system. Buy some buoyancy arms or stix floats it will make this housing a lot easier to use.

I have to disagree about the food at NAD though, I really enjoy it. The only dishes I didn't enjoy was the sea food as I don't eat sea food.

Great photos, did you use the evf a lot? If you did, did you have any issues with it?
The back wheel on your housing probably has a lot of sand stuck in it (I know mine did when I was there in april). Let the housing soak in water for a few hours and the sand will loosen up and come out. I dont think the design of the wheel is the best. As for problems with with the zoom gear it may be possible the that the lens gear slipped that has happened to me a number of times. I wish nauticam had inon's magnetic ring system. Buy some buoyancy arms or stix floats it will make this housing a lot easier to use.

I have to disagree about the food at NAD though, I really enjoy it. The only dishes I didn't enjoy was the sea food as I don't eat sea food.

Thanks. I've not used EVF at all; the negative buoyancy of the rig has made me spent time worried about my own buoyancy and trim and no time to check out the EVF.

I've just soaked the housing in water after reading your comment. Now think back, even the 2 top wheels were intermittently malfunction too, and they did feel like some sands/dirts were stuck beneath them. Will see whether the soaking will help.

Food is not bad but not to my likings. It is not remotely close to bad though. :))

I have bought a float belt that clips around the por tof the housing to give it some lift and stop it being too front heavy

I have bought a float belt that clips around the por tof the housing to give it some lift and stop it being too front heavy

Do you have a link of the mentioned float belt? I am interested to see how it works. Thanks!

Thanks for that Byron haven't tried it yet. My housing still away getting fixed. I have the 10 piece belt so hoping it will stay around the port.

Hi, it is also my first post here and i am on holiday in north slawesi. Using the NEX 7 with the nauticam housing and the 18 - 55 port. So now i have problems with the red buttons of the housing. The ok and the video button is blocking. I think some dirt is inside the button. I tried over hours fresh water and tried blowing it out with air. It still dont works. Is there a chance to open the button? Has somebody tried this?
I am using the evf, it is doing a realy amazing job.

Very nice Flamboyant! I've heard great things about NAD Lembeh. As the FIT diopters loose some of their strength underwater, you may want to try a Subsee +5 or Dyron +7 macro lens if you enjoy supermacro and want a little more magnification. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom