Lembeh (+Bangka) Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Nearly 4 weeks away diving Anilao and Lembeh...I think I'm all macro'd out for a while.

Usually when I go to Lembeh I stay at KBR, but this time I changed it up and went to Lembeh Resort to check it out. I flew in from Manila via Singapore, and the transfers to the resort went smoothly, which was a good start. The resort itself is nice enough. Food was good: buffet breakfast and lunch, and a limited a la carte menu for dinner. There's always a couple of veg*n options. Rooms were decent size, sufficient hot water, comfortable beds, working aircon…And good wifi! Rare to find a dive resort with good wifi throughout the entire place and not just in the restaurant or something!

The diving was good. Not the best trip I’ve had to Lembeh in terms of critters, but still decent. A few comments on the dive operations at Critters@Lembeh though…The guides were fairly adamant about sticking to “60 minute dives”, a few minutes over wasn’t a hassle, but no 80+ minute dives like I was used to at KBR. Which was a bit of a sore point for me, because I am pretty good on my air, and I was regularly coming up from dives with close to half a tank left. I am unclear what their reasoning for this is, presumably to keep the dive schedule on track for the day when there were multiple groups on the boat, but it was frustrating at times when on a particular dive there was some critter I would have liked to spend more time with when I still had plenty of air. Other dives where there wasn’t as much to see, it obviously didn’t bother me. Anyway, that aside, guides were good. I use the plural, because my initial guide got sick after my first day, and there was a bit of a merry-go-round of replacements until he was better. While all the guides I had were good, it would have been better if I had just been assigned one replacement. It is what it is though. Nitrox fills were consistently 32-33%. Water temps varied a lot - from 29C to 25C. People were diving 5mm and hooded vests. Viz also highly variable, anywhere from 3 to 20m...

A few of us organised to go up to Bangka one day as well. Was fun just to break it up a bit and see some pretty reefs. Flat calm trip out, but choppy at the end of the third dive and on the way back. Not too bad though. Viz easily better than 20m.

Overall, a fun trip...and time to get planning the next one!

Pics from Lembeh here...
Pics from Bangka here...

Great report WP , thanks for posting ! Limiting bottom time in these circumstances I.e. shallow , no current , photo ops and in a destination that is expensive to get to is very unfair. I stayed in a Lembeh dive resort recently and the guide I had ran low on air after about 60 minutes. He was happy for me to swim around under the boat by myself for another 20 to 30 minutes once he got to know me.

Best fishes

I still rate Lembeh Resort as one of the best I have visited.

During my last visit two years ago all of our dives were minimum 70 mins, and some 80+ mins

Iwan was our guide in 2014 and 2015, highly recommended.

IMG_2063F_zpsd8c0575e.jpg

I would not be happy about the 60 min. limit. Are you sure it wasn't just the guides going up at 60? I think it is fairly common for guides to surface at 60 (can't blame them considering the repetitive diving they are forced to do). I have never had an op limit a critter dive.

@Searcaigh He no longer works there. They said they'd had 2 guides leave and he was one of them.

@Cali_diver Yes, it was the guides going up at 60, but they seemed to have a "no staying down without a guide" rule - not sure if this is resort policy or just an unwritten rule the guides abide. Had to go up with the guides.

@Cali_diver Yes, it was the guides going up at 60, but they seemed to have a "no staying down without a guide" rule - not sure if this is resort policy or just an unwritten rule the guides abide. Had to go up with the guides.[/QUOTE]

So happy NAD Lembeh doesn't have that rule!!! I am sorry that happened to you... Another question to add to the list when booking for sure! I would not have expected that policy from that resort.

@Cali_diver Yes, it was the guides going up at 60, but they seemed to have a "no staying down without a guide" rule - not sure if this is resort policy or just an unwritten rule the guides abide. Had to go up with the guides.

So happy NAD Lembeh doesn't have that rule!!! I am sorry that happened to you... Another question to add to the list when booking for sure! I would not have expected that policy from that resort.

No, me either. It was never an issue at KBR where I'd stayed on all my previous trips. They stayed down with you until you were low on air, whether that be at 50 minutes or 90 minutes. And if someone in your group wasn't as good on air, they went up and you stayed down with the guide. And the guides never had a problem doing 90 minute dives with me day in, day out.

Honestly, I'm not sure what their reasoning was for being so adamant about it. From Sear's comments, it doesn't appear to be a resort policy. So maybe it's just the individual guides who have it. I dunno...

I'm headed to NAD in October for a few days. I'm glad to hear that. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom