Legends of the deep, anyone watching it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A new diving show on Sci Channel, I have not watched it or read about it, because until I do, I can hope its worth watching. Unfortunately the promos are trying quash this.

I've watched the 1st 2 episodes. Decent show with a good amount of diving. But so far it seems like it's not too different from any other "searching for" shows on History/Science/Discovery channels...they keep searching but haven't found anything yet.

Watched the first two episodes and agree with GreggS about the whole "searching for" theme. They dive looking for UFO, Secret Treasure, Undiscovered Boat, etc. and come up with nothing every really interesting every show. Hope they actually dive on something cool and interesting.....Or at least dive on something more then a 100ft deep. Also what is with the Costeau's and the weird rebreather thing they dive with. The funky mouth piece frame and mask looks overly complicated and ghetto. Are they too good for a full face mask or OC reg and BC setup. Freaking fancy light blue special Costeau diving gear. Sorry about the rank.....Yeah I'm watching the show and hoping it gets better

Almost painful to watch just like all the other shows. Do they really think we have forgotten what happened just before the commercial? What they call horrible visability, would be incredible by Oklahoma standards.

Interesting full faced masks though....

They're not diving with rebreathers. It's a triple tank rig with a shell type cover similar to what the original Cousteau divers used back in the day. Their second stage regulators fit into a harness that allows them to talk to each other. It is a strange looking harness/regulator rig. Aqualung appears to be sponsoring with equipment. Maybe the second stage regulator setup is something Aqualung came-up with. Does Aqualung make a full face mask?

It is interesting that their dive master isn't diving the same triple tank & shell rig. Perhaps he's diving with a higher capacity tank than the triple tanks the Cousteau folks are using.

Like others have noted in their previous posts, it looks like they're following the formula for the 'searching for' programs. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never seen anyone find what their looking for on these programs. How many years can those guys on Oak Island keep digging in that hole? Did the guy on River Monsters ever catch a monster fish?

Personally, it's kinda disappointing to see these two doing this kind of programming. They've produced some decent films to educate people about the ocean.

-AZTinman

I watched this to see my buddy Mike Huntley on EP2. With that said, and having been on a few episodes of Curse of Oak Island myself...

1) The mask is a Kirby Morgan M48 but custom colored. I'm personally surprised that the comms sound that good, they usually don't on that mask, since you have to use your regulator mouth piece.

2) Oak Island... the hunt has been on for over 200 years. Not sure they'll ever find anything, but it certainly makes good TV.

I found the show by the Cousteaus to be kind of lame, yet interesting. But intending to find things vs making good tv are two entirely different things. I don't think they ever actually intended to find a UFO sitting on the bottom, or any real physical evidence. But who knows.

They're not diving with rebreathers. It's a triple tank rig with a shell type cover similar to what the original Cousteau divers used back in the day. Their second stage regulators fit into a harness that allows them to talk to each other. It is a strange looking harness/regulator rig. Aqualung appears to be sponsoring with equipment. Maybe the second stage regulator setup is something Aqualung came-up with. Does Aqualung make a full face mask?

-AZTinman

The thing that they are using to provide the ability to use comms used to be commonly used in aquariums and other places that had dives that requires comms before there was a selection of more reasonably priced and easy to use full face masks. We called them band masks, half masks, or pods. The only place that I have seen anything like them used recently was for rebreather divers. It is like the bottom half of a Kirby Morgan M-48.

I watched this to see my buddy Mike Huntley on EP2. With that said, and having been on a few episodes of Curse of Oak Island myself...

1) The mask is a Kirby Morgan M48 but custom colored. I'm personally surprised that the comms sound that good, they usually don't on that mask, since you have to use your regulator mouth piece.

2) Oak Island... the hunt has been on for over 200 years. Not sure they'll ever find anything, but it certainly makes good TV.

I found the show by the Cousteaus to be kind of lame, yet interesting. But intending to find things vs making good tv are two entirely different things. I don't think they ever actually intended to find a UFO sitting on the bottom, or any real physical evidence. But who knows.
I haven’t seen the show, but my guess is that they are voice overing the dialogue. Pressure gas & mix will probably make the divers voices pretty annoying and the sound quality of a mic’d face mask would be low to begin with. Voice over on all the in water chatter would make it less difficult to understand and give a better continuity of sound.

Thanks for the Kirby Morgan M-48 information. I can see now how they customized it with blue and mic accessory. Personally I'd prefer they didn't use underwater coms and instead used hand signals mixed with voice overs. It would be more educational to the public. Though they are Costeau's and thus most look like underwater Jetson's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom